Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vivaldi : a chrome alternative that works

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 09 April 2016 - 05:39 PM

https://vivaldi.com/

So in wake of the loss of the 32bit version of chrome for linux the lost of browsers has shrunk a bit especially with flash support and can use sites like netflix, and at the end of this year with firefox dropping npapi 32bit linux users can use the help.

This is where vivaldi comes in, created by a former opera developer it is a new chrome based browser that supports all major OS's

It as some nice abilities like a cool sidebar and a semi decent speed dial much like opera but compatible with chromes extensions.

Give it a try, its more then just another chrome clone.

Edit Mod please edit the title to Vivaldi: a chrome alternative that works

accidental myspelling

Edited by MadmanRB, 09 April 2016 - 11:41 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 11:25 PM

Interesting, hadn't heard of that one.

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,224 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 11:47 PM

Yeah its the new kid on the block and while yet another chrome based browser it is more like classic opera than chrome.

https://vivaldi.com/story/

This browser seems to be giving the big middle finger to how bad current opera is in terms of looks and functionality, opera right now is just another chrome clone with little to make it different then what it is based on.

Vivaldi however looks and feels like nothing else, yet still uses chrome as its base but has become a force in itself.

Sure it lacks the ability to sync settings between OS's right now but its in the pipeline, plus it will soon bring back the popular integrated email client opera once boasted.

Edited by MadmanRB, 09 April 2016 - 11:53 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,117 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 12:05 AM

Happy with Chromium now, and it sync's to Chrome and Firefox with Xmarks bookmarks, will take a look though.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 12:42 AM

I used to be a huge Opera fan (on Windows), despite it having compatibility issues with some of the sites I used. Then they crapified it, and I stopped using it.

#6 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 12:42 AM

Happy with Chromium

I have been a long time Firefox user and since trying Peppermint 6 OS i have been

enjoying Chromium very much. And the fact that there is nothing from Google added

on makes it just a little better.

The "tab stacking" feature looks pretty cool, but i think Vivldi will be playing "catch-up" to the others. (IMHO)

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,224 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 02:05 AM

Happy with Chromium

I have been a long time Firefox user and since trying Peppermint 6 OS i have been
enjoying Chromium very much. And the fact that there is nothing from Google added
on makes it just a little better.
The "tab stacking" feature looks pretty cool, but i think Vivldi will be playing "catch-up" to the others. (IMHO)
yeah but it can have a good future, I mean it does seem more than just another chrome clone

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 10 April 2016 - 03:08 AM

It was unfortunate that the Vivaldi owners (which includes most of the original Opera founders) lost Opera the way they did (likely financial reasons), it was their own browser, not a copycat of another, and like Firefox, a community browser. They had their own social site, email & more, since the takeover, has became another Chrome copycat, and they were openly hostile to those who asked for the original Opera features to return. Karma's hard, the current Opera is barely on the map. Last I heard from a very reliable source, Opera's bookmarking system doesn't work well, and that was the end of a long run. The new owners killed the browser, rather than let the original revive itself, a mistake made over & over by those new & thinks they have a magical answer to everything. :thumbdown:

Fortunately, those same original owners have rebounded rather fast with their Vivaldi release, and with the addition of an email client or service, and also have had a forum for a bit, looks to be off to a hot start. No, it won't be like the original Opera rebranded (the new owners holds any copyrights to former code), yet add email & hopefully once again a community, what the people wanted, and Vivaldi at least stands a chance to rise above Opera, and maybe a few more lesser known browsers, including Chromium itself. As many computers as I've personally laid my hands on to do some work, have never seen Chromium installed on the first one, though have seen Opera (especially the older versions) on many. 

Hopefully Vivaldi can be a great 2nd browser to many & even the main browser for those who likes the speed of Google Chrome, yet wants fewer ads. While I believe Vivaldi can gain some redemption over Opera in little time, it'll be a long uphill battle to even think about competing with Firefox or Google Chrome, though Firefox has been on a slide as of late, if they drop the Flash plugin for the 32 bit browsers as reported (for all versions), some users may look elsewhere, if HTML5 for 32 bit proves to be not popular. Bearing in mind, they have very little incentive to pour cash down the drain on lesser used platforms. HTML5 is for the future, not the past. 

I too believe that Vivaldi is a lot more than a browser wanting to wallow in the shadow of Chromium (or Google Chrome), have no doubt that once the smoke clears, Vivaldi will be a known name to many Linux users (as well as Windows users to a lesser extent) & there's even a Mac edition, and will likely end up in many Linux distros official repos with Opera getting the boot. Really this should happen anyway, it's a shame that Opera 12.16 is still being offered to 32 bit Linux users (more like a sick joke), should be removed & replaced with Vivaldi, which stays current. 

The Vivaldi team has primed themselves for success, have done it once before & can do the same again. :)

Just installed! :thumbup2:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users