Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Temp Files

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 raenruby

raenruby

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 05 December 2004 - 05:47 PM

I am running windows95 & when going to windows explorer (not internet explorer),
I click on windows and delete "temporary internet" files. There is a file called "temp", is it safe to delete the contents of that file?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 05 December 2004 - 07:26 PM

:thumbsup: and :flowers: to BC, raenruby .

That is a common question. BC has a great tutorial about it. You can see all the tutorials by clicking the tutorial tab near the top of your screen.

BC temp files tutorial
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#3 EdBee

EdBee

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 05 December 2004 - 07:58 PM

I believe you are differentiating between "temporary internet files" which Jason addressed in the prior post (you should follow the tutorial instructs re theses files) and the windows "temp" files. In WIN XP we use the RUN command type %temp% and it brings up the temp folder. I usually delete the file there maybe twice per week. There are times that they will not delete (message saying "file is being used by another program....."). If you are sure it is not being used by another program and you want to get rid of it, then you must boot down and back up in "SAFE" mode to delete it. But, yes those files should be deleted unless they are being used at that time (usually not). It has been a while since I used WIN 95, but I believe this will also apply. You can get to the WINDOWS\TEMP folder by using Windows explorer in WIN95. :flowers: :thumbsup: :trumpet:
EDBEE from NMUSA- RENOWNED MALWARE FIGHTER AND SWORN ENEMY OF ALL INTERNET HIJACKERS

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 06 December 2004 - 01:46 AM

Absolutely.
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users