Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Inspiron 3847 won't boot in Legacy

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 fatsquirrel

fatsquirrel

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 09 April 2016 - 02:47 PM

The start of my problem was, in fact, a Windows issue. But, I truly believe I can resolve the remainder of the issues on my own, if I can get some help getting this stupid computer to boot in legacy mode. 

Here's the background:

We upgraded from Windows 8 to 10 a few months ago and all was great. Then he was having boot issues. At first, he got the error 0xC0000034. It kept going into a reboot loop. I tried doing the automatic repair, but it failed. All my googling said I had to rebuild the MBR, the boot sector, and the BCD. So I downloaded the MS media tool, created a boot USB drive, and tried to access recovery console. But when I booted from the USB drive, it would give a new BSOD with a FAT_FILE_SYSTEM error, and then spontaneously reboot. So I couldn't even get to a console. On the advice of a friend I ran general and SMART diagnostics. All was perfect. So then I had what I thought was a genius idea and used a USB drive adapter to connect the drive from my dad's tower to my laptop. My laptop is also running 10. I ran chkdsk /f on the drive, and it repaired a TON, and i mean a TON...of errors. Disconnected, reinstalled the drive, and booted into recovery console. Ran bootrec /fixmbr, /fixboot, and /fixBCD. All ran successfully except /fixBCD which said "Can't create a file when it already exists." so I tried to reboot again. Now I get the error 0xc0000102 with file BOOTVID.dll. 

I tried going from UEFI to legacy mode, but when I go to legacy mode, the computer freezes after POST. It just will not go past that point. The only way to get BACK to UEFI mode is to disconnect the HD, reboot, let it throw an error due to the missing HD, and then access settings and revert.

I am unsure of the board specifics because I can't even get it to boot from UBCD to go into a hardware ID system.

This is printed on the board though:

MIH81R \ GREAT BEAR
13040 - 1M
GGDJT$GA

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide me!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 766 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 04:09 PM

With the hard drive unplugged and the BIOS in legacy mode, boot the UBCD and run MEMTEST for several hours so we can eliminate bad ram and overheating from the list of what caused the problem.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#3 fatsquirrel

fatsquirrel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 04:13 PM

Thanks for responding!

Unfortunately, the system won't POST when in legacy mode. Otherwise, I would be able to boot from a recovery disc.  :(

Well, no, it's not that it won't post. I believe it POSTs, but it freezes immediately after that, and I can't access the boot options function.

Edited by fatsquirrel, 09 April 2016 - 04:14 PM.

#4 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 766 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 05:01 PM

With the hard drive disconnected?

#5 fatsquirrel

fatsquirrel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 07:11 PM

omg i'm such an idiot, i read that wrong. running it now!

#6 fatsquirrel

fatsquirrel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 07:25 AM

ok, i let it run all night, it's at just over 12 hours and still going strong. no errors.

#7 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 766 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 09:19 AM

Good; that eliminates a ton of possible causes for the errors CHKDSK found!
Use the media creation tool again; but, this time, create a DVD for Windows 10. It will boot in secure boot mode and, on Dell's, you hit F12 when the Dell logo is on the screen to get to the boot menu.
Choose the repair option, then a command prompt.
Follow these directions for running DISM (about 2/3 of the way down the page): https://www.winhelp.us/repair-your-computer-in-windows-10.html

#8 fatsquirrel

fatsquirrel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 12:21 PM

No go unfortunately, so i'm running another chkdsk /r to be sure.

I got this:

Attached Files

Edited by fatsquirrel, 10 April 2016 - 12:31 PM.

#9 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 766 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 12:34 PM

You typed BCDEDOT in the command to get the Windows drive letter.  Its BCDEDIT  Try again, OK?

#10 fatsquirrel

fatsquirrel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 12:36 PM

lol i know, that was my first one...right below that i did it correctly.

#11 fatsquirrel

fatsquirrel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 02:49 PM

ok, scan complete, no bad sectors. *phew*

#12 fatsquirrel

fatsquirrel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 03:48 PM

any other ideas?

#13 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 766 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2016 - 06:52 AM

Did you run the DISM command from that article? Its supposed to clean up the Windows installation repository which is likely to have a positive effect.

#14 fatsquirrel

fatsquirrel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2016 - 11:18 AM

I did, it threw this error:

Attached File  post-997526-0-28625700-1460308905.jpg   54.85KB   0 downloads

#15 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 766 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2016 - 11:25 AM

And you did this?

If disk check did not resolve error 0xc000021a in Windows 10, you need to revert pending updates using DISM.

First, check the letter for the drive where Windows is installed using the bcdedit | find /i "OSDEVICE" command. The correct letter is listed on the right, for example D: or E:.
win10.commandprompt03.jpg

Type dism /image:D:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions (replace D:\ with the correct drive letter for your Windows drive) and press Enter. Ignore any error messages about scratch directory size.
win10.commandprompt06.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users