Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fantom Drive external quit working.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 boomdig

boomdig

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 09 April 2016 - 02:18 PM

I have a Fantom Drive 3.0 external HD connected to my Gateway E-6610 desktop and am running Windows 10. For some reason, about a month ago Windows quit recognizing this drive. I have tried everything I can think of and I still get no Icon even though Windows chimes when I unplug or plug in either the cable or the power. It's like it's there but not there. If you have any wild suggestions beyond the norm please let me know. It worked fine until about a month ago and then the Icon disappeared.

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 09 April 2016 - 03:05 PM

With the drive attached look in Device Manager. Is a drive letter assigned to the drive? If not assign a letter.

#3 boomdig

boomdig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 03:59 PM

Yes, it has been assigned as F://. It shows up in device manager but not any place else. For a while I was getting an icon and said it was a sata-usb bridge but don't get that anymore. Windows will still chime when I unplug or plug in either the power supply or the connector cable like it is recognizing it but there is nothing there when I look under devices. Yet it still appears and is assigned a drive letter in the Device Manager. I just don't get it.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,586 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 05:26 PM

If you received a SATA to USB bridge error I would remove the HDD and attach it to a USB adapter or another enclosure as long as the USB bridge card and USB port is not a integral part of the HDD PCB.

Have you tried attaching the drive to another computer? You can boot a live linux distro and attach the drive to see if this is strictly a Windows  problem. Fatdog64 is a good distro for this.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/

#5 Dallas Jack

Dallas Jack

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 10:31 PM

Not trying to derail this thread but how do you write a bootable ISO to a CD? I downloaded a Fatdog ISO from the link above but have no idea what to do next. Many thanks for any instructions on this.

Dallas Jack

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,586 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:44 AM

Not trying to derail this thread but how do you write a bootable ISO to a CD? I downloaded a Fatdog ISO from the link above but have no idea what to do next. Many thanks for any instructions on this.

Dallas Jack

If on a Windows Vista or later computer right click the iso file and select Burn Disk Image. If on XP you will need a program like Imgburn to burn the image to disk. If using Imgburn make sure you opt out of all programs offered.

You can use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive with Fatdog. Leave all boxes as checked. Use MBR partition scheme. Where FreeDos is listed select iso image, click the icon and browse to the iso of Fatdog. Backup any data on the flash drive as it will be erased.

#7 Dallas Jack

Dallas Jack

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 01:11 PM

Thanks JohnC_21. I will start a thread in the Linux forum to continue.

Back to the OPs Fantom drive problem.

Dallas Jack

#8 boomdig

boomdig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2016 - 12:31 AM

Strange. Hooked up the external HD to my laptop the drivers loaded, the drive was detected and works fine. I am running Windows 10 on both computers and as far as function and programs they are the same. So hooked up drive to desktop and got the task bar icon for a USB device detected. Opened device manager and it was listed there with a drive letter. I forget, at the moment, what I used to view all connected devices and there was a SATA-USB bridge icon. The drive was not listed. When I unplug or plug in either the power or the connection cable, Windows gives me a chime as if it recognizes the drive. I am out of ideas. I need it to work with my desktop as it only has a 75gb HD and will be needing the extra room. I seem to remember seeing a post that included a connection to information about how to connect an external hard drive that is failing. I was on a search for some other information and passed it by. 

It's a Fantom Drive 3.0 and I have checked their support and nothing they offered worked. How can it be the drive works on one computer and not the other when both are running almost identical OS? Bios?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,586 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2016 - 08:09 AM

Download USBdeview. Remove any vendor specific device including your USB drives. Do not remove devices such as your keyboard, mouse, network, printer, or bluetooth devices. Delete USB flash and hard drives no longer connected to the system. Reboot and see if the drive is not detected.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

#10 boomdig

boomdig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 06:53 AM

Solved. External Drive went bad.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,586 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 07:18 AM

If the drive has a separate USB bridge card pulling the drive and placing it into another enclosure may work. The drive may be okay but the USB bridge card failed. 

#12 boomdig

boomdig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 03:54 AM

Thanks. That's worth a shot. If I get the extra storage this way so much the better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users