Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Problems with Vista

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#1 justmeandmycomputer

justmeandmycomputer

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 09 April 2016 - 02:12 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/72/windows-vista/

I have been working with nasdaq on trying to get this computer working. The problem is I cannot download anything to my computer. Nasdaq gave me instructions on another forum but my computer will not operate and install them. I can click run as administrator and still not be able to install. He suggested that some files maybe corrput. Also, I have noticed that my computer is installing so strange garabage when I startup. It comes it with a black screen like it is windows updating but it will have something like this:

43/1501 registry/Microsoft/winners something to this effect. I even turned windows update off and it still did the same thing but had $ signs in front of the updates.

I ran some of the Microsoft tools and one of the programs told me that I had attached a new device to my computer and need to delete it, but I had not attached anything. So I tried installing the with the disk once again, I did that but still not able to download flasher player or anything of that nature.

Can someone please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ron_

Ron_

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 09 April 2016 - 02:39 PM

Take your smartphone and make a screen shot of the massages you are getting. Write them here. Ill take a look and will try to help. 

#3 justmeandmycomputer

justmeandmycomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 05:20 PM

Thanks, for responding to my post. I got the blue screen of death and I had no other choice to use the disk and reinstall. I am still not able to install an update flash player from adobe website or any other website. Maybe their are corrupt as Nasdaq quote or restricted some kind of way. But this is really weird.  Not sure what could possible block me from downloading anything. Maybe you can help here! I am lost .

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,008 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 05:45 PM

Is my understanding correct - You can navigate to a web-site in your browser, say to Adobe.com, but you cannot download from it, for example Flash ?

If this is the case it is possible that either your A/V or your firewall is not allowing downloads. To test this you could try disabling them - briefly - while you go to one specific web-site, Adobe's would do as well as any, and see if you can download Flash, If you can, then check the settings in your A/V and firewall.

Oh yes, and re-activate your A/V and firewall once you have been to the Adobe site. running around on the web without these two active is not a good idea.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#5 justmeandmycomputer

justmeandmycomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 05:50 PM

Ok hello now Chris. I have the symantec disabled as I type. It was disable when I tried to install the program. This symantec has expired and will be deleted once I get the computer figured out and get a free version of some kind. I even logged on to the admin account but it downloaded but would not let me install. I right click to use as admin still  no luck? Any suggestions Chris same as I asked Ron at minute ago. I am lost!

#6 justmeandmycomputer

justmeandmycomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 05:51 PM

Chris,

I can go to the page Adobe and download it but can't install when I click it. Hopes this helps!

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,008 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 04:49 PM

Have you tried using the 'Run' command ?  Click on the 'Start' button and, if you can't see 'Run' in the column on the right hand side then you will find it in 'All programs - Accessories'. Click on it, 'Browse' to wherever you have the file - Downloads ? - click on the file name, click OK and in the next box click 'Run'. If this wording isn't completely correct, my apologies !  I am using a Linux laptop and watching the Masters !

Post back with what happens.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#8 justmeandmycomputer

justmeandmycomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 06:19 PM

Nothing happens when I click ok! I noticed that my system is constantly is black screen at start up and stays that way for a few minutes, it is coming up start relaunch or starts windows normally. I select start windows normally. Mind you that I just used the disk to re installed. Also, after the black screen disappears please wait is on the screen for about a minute or two and then comes the famous CONFIGURING UPDATES!!!  Configuring Updates stays the longest for about 2-3 minutes but the trick is I have updates turned off because I would get pop up staying I have updates and it would shut the system down and restart like updates have been downloaded when in actually they HAVENOT!

I believe there is a program on my system that is pretending to be downloading but in actually it is not!

Got the same message about configuring updates today but when I check for recent up dates there where not any today, so what could have been updated if updates are turn off? HMMMMMM

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 13 April 2016 - 07:27 PM

From reading your other post, it's my understanding that you clean installed Vista and are still have problems? What is the make and model of the computer? Did you do a factory reset using the hard drive recovery partition? All personal data files on the computer are backed up?

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 April 2016 - 07:27 PM.

#10 justmeandmycomputer

justmeandmycomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 09:02 PM

Yes, I used the disk to reinstall and did a factory reset. I did not do back up because it was nothing for me to keep on this computer. Make is HP Pavilion-Compaq computer, BIOS Version Date: 04/04/2007

Also hpadvisor.mainframe.contexts is not responding at all times, time zone is never correct because you can't select apply when changing the date so it does not stick. I click run then proceed to download but when I got to download it still will not let me run it whether I am the admin or not.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,447 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2016 - 06:40 PM

I would recommend you first check your memory by creating a bootable iso of Memtest+86 here. You can burn the iso by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image. Run for at least 6 passes and preferably overnight. If you can download Seatools for Windows run the short and long tests.

How to use Seatools for Windows

#12 justmeandmycomputer

justmeandmycomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 11:46 PM

I swear I hate this computer! :devil: I was able to download Seatools but it got to USB: scanning for supported drivers and stopped working. (NOT RESPONDING) I started computer and tried it once more and it ran then a second time stalled at USB: scanning for supported drivers and stayed that way.

#13 justmeandmycomputer

justmeandmycomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2016 - 12:00 AM

Can you tell me what to download when I click on MEM? There are a million things on this page.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,447 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2016 - 07:07 AM

You want to click on the Pre-built iso file link. 

http://memtest.org/#downiso

Download http://memtest.org/download/5.01/memtest86+-5.01.iso.zip

memtest video

Unzip the file and burn the iso to disk by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image or use the iso file with Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive.

You can also check your disk using a bootable iso of Parted Magic. Burn the iso and at the desktop click on Disk Health which starts Gsmartcontrol. Do the short and long tests.

#15 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2016 - 07:23 AM

Unzip the file and burn the iso to disk by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image...

FWIW, Vista does not have the ability to burn ISOs natively.  That feature is only available in Windows 7 and later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users