Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB type A to Type C cables

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JosephB50

JosephB50

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 09 April 2016 - 01:19 PM

Re the new usb type C and usb version 3.1 I get that the type is the physical connector, and that the 3.1 is the latest standard a port could utilize. What I don't get is the type A to type C connector cables. This is fine for connecting backward to 2.0 , or 3.0 etc. But how can a type A port (and connector) support all the features of 3.1 ? All my reading (dozens of discussions) have not said anything about this. It seems 3.1 requires a lot of wires, more than a Type A connector/port has, is that true, meaning Type A cannot carry full 3.1 features. Or in other words, no Type A port will ever support full 3.1?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 10 April 2016 - 09:47 AM

It doesn't support all the features of USB 3.1. Using the legacy cable the device will only operate at 2.0/3.0 speeds. To fully utilize 3.1 the device and the computer need to be USB 3.1. They have this cable to support legacy devices on new computers with only USB 3.1 or limited USB type A ports.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 10 April 2016 - 09:49 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 JosephB50

JosephB50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 10 April 2016 - 01:54 PM

thx