Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chrome and Windows Update crashing or not working in windows 10

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 xTeChN0

xTeChN0

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 09 April 2016 - 12:59 PM

Hello!

I´m experiencing a weird bug on my windows 10 PC. I have a genuine windows 10 operating system which I got by upgrading my genuine key of windows 7. Operating system is on an SSD drive and was installed as a clean install. Sometimes when I launch my PC Google Chrome won´t work. At the same time if I check Windows Updates then it won´t work either. At first when this problem occurred I couldn't get to work Windows Updates, Google Chrome, Task manager, Troubleshooter (any of them), cmd and probably some other things too I´m not aware about. There was no error message, programs just crashed or were hanging or didn´t open at all. If I tried to do a restart then PC would shut down for quite some time (maybe 2 minutes, which is very long). And after restart everything was working fine until next time. Sometimes when I turned on my PC and everything was working this bug would happen when I´m in use of my computer. For example Chrome just hang and didn´t open any pages and if I checked windows updates they were down also. If I closed Chrome then it wouldn´t open anymore. One time I hand an instance when this bug happened and I tried to open Chrome and it didn´t I had to get away from my computer for a little and when I was back Chrome was opened (maybe it opens, but takes really long time to do so sometimes). After some time living with this bug I started to get an error message, but only after this bug occurred and after I did a restart. Error message: Failed to connect to a windows service. Windows couldn´t connect to the Group Policy Client service. This problem prevents standard users from signing in. As an administrative user, you can review System Event Log about why the service is not responding.. After this message I had to do another restart and only then I got everything working again. 

Now I did another clean install of windows 10. I thought that I had ruined something in the registry by using Revo Uninstallers registry scans and Ccleaners registry cleaning. Everything was fine for couple of days. After this clean install I now dont use any registry cleaning utility and this bug happened again. Now when this bug happens task manager, cmd and troubleshooters are still working, but Chrome and Windows Updates hang or crash. And restart fixes it until next time and restart times are again long. After this clean install I haven´t gotten yet this error message I´ve stated above in bold.

I´m out of ideas here and really need some help. Have tried running DISM and SFC and everything was fine. Even posted on Microsofts help forum, but their support engineer just stopped answering. Here is the link to what I wrote on Microsoft forum just in case:http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/windows-10-weird-problem/9a51eec4-3938-4574-a170-a6e3d3336c87?msgId=a7481a36-4854-463e-be99-28e0bff94241
Some specs:
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.40GHz 
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
MSI Z77A-G43 (MS-7758) (SOCKET 0) 
Graphics
S24E391 (1920x1080@60Hz)
2048MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series (ATI AIB) 
Storage
1863GB Western Digital WDC WD20EARX-00PASB0 (SATA) 
111GB KINGSTON SHFS37A120G (SSD) 
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-222BB
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Edited by xTeChN0, 09 April 2016 - 01:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 09 April 2016 - 05:45 PM

Let's try looking at these reports:

1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.
If it doesn't work for you, then please try this:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 xTeChN0

xTeChN0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 02:51 AM

Here are the logs.

Edit: Just now, when I started my computer got error message (first one after clean windows install). Had to reboot again and now everything is working again. Message:  Failed to connect to a windows service. Windows couldn´t connect to the Group Policy Client service. This problem prevents standard users from signing in. As an administrative user, you can review System Event Log about why the service is not responding.

Attached Files

Edited by xTeChN0, 10 April 2016 - 05:25 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 05:17 PM

There's a ton of signon errors in the Admin logfile.  Have you tried another copy of Windows 10 - or are you using the same copy over and over again?

If using the same copy, the next step after my suggestions below, is to try a fresh install with a new copy of W10 (being sure to completely wipe the disk (create new partitions) prior to installing the OS).

Another possibility is an infection (maybe the installation media is infected - or some program that you install)

Could you be infected?  It's possible that malware has corrupted your current protection, so please try a couple of these, independent scans (from this link: https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts/TA15-286A ).  This is in case your current protection is compromised by malware and giving false results:

F-Secure
           https://www.f-secure.com/en/web/home_global/online-scanner (link is external)

McAfee
           http://www.mcafee.com/uk/downloads/free-tools/stinger.aspx (link is external)

Microsoft
           http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx (link is external)

Sophos
           https://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/virus-removal-tool.aspx (link is external)

Trend Micro
           http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ (link is external)

The above are examples only and do not constitute an exhaustive list. The U.S. Government does not endorse or support any particular product or vendor.

If you do find infections, I'd suggest posting over in the Am I Infected forum to ensure that all the bad stuff has been removed:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
Please read the pinned topics at the top of the forum for instructions on how to post there.

Your UEFI/BIOS (version V2.10) dates from 2013.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.

Only 4 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most build 10586 (TH2/1511) systems have more than this.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates.
The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

Daemon Tools (and Alcohol % software) are known to cause BSOD's on some Windows systems (mostly due to the sptd.sys driver, although I have seen both dtsoftbus01.sys and dtscsibus.sys blamed on several occasions).

Please un-install the program, then use the following free tool to ensure that the troublesome sptd.sys driver is removed from your system (pick the 32 or 64 bit system depending on your system's configuration):  New link (15 Aug 2012):  http://www.duplexsecure.com/downloads (pick the appropriate version for your system and select "Un-install" when you run it).
Alternate link:  http://www.disc-tools.com/download/sptd
Manual procedure here:  http://daemonpro-help.com/en/problems_and_solutions/registry_and_sptd_problems.html

NOTE:  The uninstaller may not find the SPTD.sys driver.  Don't worry about it, just let us know in your post.

Edited by usasma, 10 April 2016 - 05:18 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 xTeChN0

xTeChN0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 02:46 PM

I have recently (maybe almost a week ago) reinstalled my windows 10. It was a clean install done on another windows 10 which had the same problem. Meaning I formatted both my drives (each one has one partition on it). I didn´t delete partitions and create new ones. Is it necessary for something to delete partitions and recreate them? This is a clean windows, but installation media is the same. Media is a DVD disk which I burned myself and downloaded through windows installation media creation tool (or something like that) from Microsoft.

As for infections. I ran all given scans by you plus my own Eset Smart Security 9, MBAM and Adwcleaner. I scanned my system (all drives) and installation media also (meaning windows 10 disk I burned). No infections found by any of those programs. Ran even deep scans and smart scans and whatever there was to run. Installation media and my system seems to be clean. Also would like to state that I used this windows 10 DVD to install windows on my laptop and it doesn't have any problems as far as I know.

I installed three more windows updates manually from windows update catalog. I´m not sure is it all, because I don´t know how to check manually for all available updates. I just compared installed hotfixes on my laptop and on PC and downloaded those which were not on the list in my PC, but were on the list in my laptop.

I don´t feel very comfortable updating my BIOS. I have never done it and not sure how to check if I´m downloading the right things for my motherboard. I know how to check for my BIOS version and motherboard, but I kind of can´t find much info on updating specifically my BIOS. Maybe if you could guide me a little. And is updating BIOS actually important for the sort of problem I´m having?

I´we uninstalled Daemon Tools and the uninstaller did not find this particular driver.

Also I tried running DISM and SFC and no integrity violations were found. It kind of seems that my WIndows Updates are broken. A lot of problems with BITS service. It just won´t respond to any commands sometimes. Can´t stop it or can´t start it. Tried doing this through services.msc and through cmd(admin). Doesn't work just says something like BITS service didn´t respond in a timely fashion. Also Windows Updates can´t find any available update automatically. But i do not understand how is it all tied to Google Chrome. I thought that Chrome is to blame (read some threads about it) and uninstalled it. Did not help.

I really wouldn´t want to reinstall windows AGAIN, because my DVD seems to be not infected and my laptop works well from the same DVD. I just did a clean install and I do not understand how another one could help me. Maybe there is something else to try.

I have included the same logs as before just in case. Logs done after I did all stated in this post.

Attached Files

Edited by xTeChN0, 11 April 2016 - 04:31 PM.

#6 xTeChN0

xTeChN0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 01:16 AM

Created new installation media via WIndows 10 installation media creation tool. This time put it on USB flash drive. Going to reinstall windows with formatting all drives and deleting all partitions and creating new ones. Have little hope of resolving the issue with this step, but I´m out of options. Seems that no one doesn´t know what to do. Tried all the similar fixes I could find in the internet about login errors and services errors. Tried this one too : http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html. There are some registry fixes out there, but following them I saw that all the entries which I was supposed to add or modify were already as they should be.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 02:39 PM

Today we reinstalled W7 on a Toshiba at work.
The owner paid around $70 for a set of recovery disks from Toshiba - they didn't work properly.

We reloaded a copy of W7 w/the USB tool (a retail copy) and the problems went away.

There are many different things that can happen to a drive.

Reformatting isn't adequate anymore - and I'm beginning to wonder about deleting and then recreating partitions.
I may end up re-initializing disks in DISKPART before I partition and format - and even that may not be enough.

There are only 2 things that can go wrong with the computer - hardware or software.

Compatibility issues tend to fall "in-between" - things like an outdated BIOS or system software; or even just plain old software.

We divide the software into Windows software and other (3rd party) software for convenience sake.

If you install Windows "clean" (without 3rd party software), fully update it, ensure that there's no problem drivers in Device Manager (you may have to use 3rd party software for this, but that can't be helped), double check the installation media, and have fully scanned for malware - then you've effectively ruled out 3rd party software and Windows as a cause.  This means that there's a hardware problem.

#8 xTeChN0

xTeChN0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2016 - 04:17 PM

You seem to be right. New clean install did not help and I did another one on the HDD to be sure. Did not try to update BIOS though.  Maybe it would have helped, but I did not find any conformation that any of my hardware does have actual windows 10 support. So I decided not to risk a bad BIOS flush and install. I reinstalled windows 7. My computers have been built for it and seems that they works best on windows 7. Since installed windows 7 haven´t had any problems anymore. And administrative event log is a lot cleaner and doesn´t have bunch of service failure errors. So probably if you own an older PC then upgrading to windows 10 might not be the best step for everyone. It is a shame, because I really liked windows 10, but it seems to have a lot of driver and compatibility problems with machines that are not built for it. But windows 7 is a nice operating system nonetheless and some day when I upgrade my PC I will definitely give windows 10 another try.

Thanks for your help usasma! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users