Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How often should I reboot?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 09 April 2016 - 10:41 AM

I started to make a long involved post of some weird problems I was haveing this morning.  For once I spent a hour catching screen shots and other info you guys usually ask for. While doing so I noticed that I had not rebooted in 4 days so I rebooted and every thing is working correctly again.  Really no reason to post, just thought I would say hi for a change lol

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 09 April 2016 - 10:49 AM

A reboot can fix many strange and unexplainable problems, that is why you should reboot often.

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,977 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 11:26 AM

No reboot for four days on a laptop?  I don't think this is a good idea dannyboy, laptops need to shut down every day.  Sorry if you are talking about another pc, but I can't keep up on all.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 11:40 AM

No it is not a good idea especially on a laptop. lol  Actually I did not realise it had been that long since I rebooted.

It is kinda funny this incident brought to mind way back when MSN Communities still existed some of us actually tried to see how long we could stay up without problems and having to reboot.  Strange the things that can trigger an old long forgotten memory.

Spelling correction.  Yes I actually sometimes remember to correct my spelling> lol

Edited by dannyboy950, 09 April 2016 - 11:42 AM.

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,977 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 12:15 PM

I believe some here even reboot after every Update, though some don't require it.  If I Update and see that I am getting important security, or other apps I use a lot, will reboot right after!  Especially if it is Chrome or FF!  After all these are usually where infections come from, generally speaking of course, downloads etc.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 12:50 PM

Since I installed that update manager thingy in my task bar it has seldom asked me to reboot. It has been updateing a lot lately without asking for a reboot.

That may be why I was up for so long without rebooting.

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,747 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 12:51 PM

You know what Hooty the Owl says;

"Give a hoot, reboot!!!!"

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,977 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 01:22 PM

Since I installed that update manager thingy in my task bar it has seldom asked me to reboot. It has been updateing a lot lately without asking for a reboot.

That may be why I was up for so long without rebooting.

That's a little confusing to me, but understand I am not super familiar with these things still, and have been using Windows a lot lately.  I have never been asked to reboot dannyboy, that is up to the user as far as I know.  I'm sure that it could be setup this way, but don't know why a home user would do so, at least for me.

What is:  "Since I installed that update manager thingy in my task bar"  There is the Update Manager in Taskbar by Default, is this something extra you installed?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 02:06 PM

Maybe I should rephrase that to since I noticed it.  I do not remember actually installing it.

When I first installed mint, there were only 4[ icon?] to the right task bar. My network connection; volume control; battery indicator and the clock.

One day there was this blue shield looking thing. Clicked on it to see what it was and it said I had 3 updates to d/l so I d/l and installed.

It has been there ever since.  Every so often it turns blue and there are more updates.

#10 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 12 April 2016 - 06:36 PM

@pcpunk:

I have never been asked to reboot dannyboy, that is up to the user as far as I know.

It happens with a number of Distros, Mate, but only occasionally. Not sure with KDE, but know of no reason why same would not apply. We had this debate over 12 months ago with friend bmike1 I think. Only then did he notice it, coincidentally with an update that followed.

When I install a new Distro (typically once a week), if the .iso is a few months old, there may be a hundred or more updates to be run, and I always reboot to be sure that changes take, and that no conflicts are generated with my other Distros.

And if you ever run

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

to install packages that have been held back, it will often regenerate GRUB, and I likewise reboot if I am not prompted. Kernel updates likewise.

:wizardball: Wizard

#11 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 07:24 PM

When I install a new Distro (typically once a week)...

Holy cow!  How do you keep your Grub menu clean?

#12 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 11:28 PM

lol, That would be off-topic, likely (not sure, with a Subject Title "saying hi yall"). I am planning a Topic for the near future about multi-booting Linuxes, what are the pros and cons, and it will feature using an external HDD, bootable, on which I currently have 5 - 6 Distros at any time.

Don't hold your breath, I have house-moving commitments to attend to first.

:wizardball: Wizard

BTW - @Agouti - haven't seen anything of this chap since he flew in, posted and then disappeared, but check this out, neat setup

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/596465/10-bootable-linux-distros-on-hard-disk/?hl=%2Bantilope

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,977 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 11:37 PM

@pcpunk:

I have never been asked to reboot dannyboy, that is up to the user as far as I know.

It happens with a number of Distros, Mate, but only occasionally. Not sure with KDE, but know of no reason why same would not apply. We had this debate over 12 months ago with friend bmike1 I think. Only then did he notice it, coincidentally with an update that followed.

Okay, never had it that I can remember? good to know.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 12:12 AM

The penny has dropped with me.

If you do all your updating through Terminal, you will not see it.

It happens through the GUI Software Updaters, they prompt you to restart your system.

My bad

:wizardball: Wiz

#15 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 07:04 AM

@wizardfromoz,

Yes, I knew my question was off-topic but I see nothing wrong with a quick question and an equally quick answer.  I know there are rules but rules must be applied sensibly otherwise things can get pretty straight-jacketed.  With that said, I think the mods here have been very sensible.  Point taken nevertheless.  I'll find the answer elsewhere on the ginormous internet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users