Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple Chrome browsers using resources

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ArcticPrince

ArcticPrince

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 09 April 2016 - 07:23 AM

Quite often pretty much all of the time) I can be typing an email and the computer slows to a crawl.  The words that I type don't show with the keyboard inputs and then they will suddenly fill in the gaps. If I open task manager I will see 4 or 5 instances of chrome using resources even though I only have one chrome tab open. Those 4 or 5 open chrome tasks can be using up to 30% of my CPU and 30-40% of my memory.  I have run adaware and Malware bytes just to see if something has been installed without my being aware, but both scans come up clean.

Any ideas or suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 4on4off

4on4off

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 09 April 2016 - 10:21 AM

I had a similar situation where multiple google chrome applications would show up in my resources monitor, even after I removed chrome from my system. After some research I came across poweliksclceaner by eset that detected and removed win32/poweliks.

You may not have the same issue but the tool is quick and works in a flash. A quick search in all forums for poweliks will locate a thread that has instructions on using the tool. Not sure it is okay to link one here. If you run the tool and it finds and removes it I would promptly start a thread in the infected forum.

Best of luck.

#3 ArcticPrince

ArcticPrince
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 03:05 PM

Nope, no poweliks here, but thanks for the suggestion.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 09 April 2016 - 05:10 PM

A known feature of Chrome is that it can stay active after you think you have shut it down and if you go back to it later you then have two sets of Chrome systems running, both using memory. The cure is fairly simple.

Click on the 'Settings' button, the three barred button in the top right hand corner, choose 'Settings' from the menu that appears and scroll right down to the bottom of the page. There you will see a link 'Advanced settings', click on this and a second page will open. Scroll down almost to the bottom of this page and yoou will see a button, which is ticked by default, 'Continue running background apps when Chrome is closed'.

Untick this button and that should solve your problem.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 ArcticPrince

ArcticPrince
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 06:54 AM

That seems to have done it Chris.

Thanks

#6 ArcticPrince

ArcticPrince
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 07:03 AM

oops, spoke too soon!  I have one chrome tab open, but when I noticed a slow down while typing an email and I opened task manager and there it was again, 4 instances of chrome using resources, averaging about 5% each.

#7 eLPuSHeR

eLPuSHeR

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 10 April 2016 - 01:52 PM

Chrome seems to be a resource hog lately. If you have an x64 system you could try the x64 version. Some people say it works better than its x86 counterpart.

#8 ArcticPrince

ArcticPrince
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 01:25 AM

I upgraded to x64 and although I think I can see a bit of a speed increase in how it handles links, etc I still have the issue of multiple instances of Chrome running simultaneously, even though I only have one tab open. I will be typing an email or word document and suddenly my inputs lag really bad.  Sometimes the display will be 4 or 5 words behind the keyboard input and then it catches up and then slows down.  Not sure how to describe it, but it is very irritating. When I open task manager there it is again, 4 or 5 instances of Chrome open and using 4-5% of my CPU each. It doesn't do that with Firefox or Edge (what a piece of crap edge is!), just Chrome.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 12 April 2016 - 08:30 AM

Not that it should be eating up the resources that it is, but it is an actual feature of the design of the Chrome browser that it has multiple processes open when it's running (whether foreground or background) and the number has no one-to-one correspondence to the number of Chrome windows or tabs.  I've constantly got many Chrome processes running, all 32-bit and I have a 64-bit machine, but they don't routinely cause other processes to slow to a crawl.

I do, however, experience precisely the symptoms you describe in different programs whether Chrome is running or not, but only every once in a while.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#10 ArcticPrince

ArcticPrince
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 02:23 AM

I have decided to switch to firefox. Been using it exclusively for about 5 days have not had the problem of "Lag" with any inputs since I quit using Chrome.

#11 eLPuSHeR

eLPuSHeR

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 02:35 AM

Chrome is pretty good but it's also a resources hog.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users