Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I did an msconfig to selected startup and now msconfig isn't available

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 whatamIdoinghere

whatamIdoinghere

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 08 April 2016 - 11:00 PM

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro c850 with Window 7 Home Premium which has become very slow and freezes, but it works perfectly in Safe Mode so I looked up how to identify the problem and found this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135 I did what it says under Windows 7 and now when it boots up I get a 'location not available' message that msconfig isnt available, also if I search for msconfig nothing happens. (Pic 1,2,3) How do I get to normal mode now? I only clicked the boxes as shown in the tutorial.
I can access the boot menu and system setup if that helps at all? F2/F12. On system recovery Options I opened system 32 but I have no idea what I am doing so I haven't clicked anything. (Pic 4)
I dont have a restore point set or a restore image, nor can I find the full factory restore option in F8/F12. (Pic 5)
I tried doing a cmd 'sfc/scannow' but get the message that it doesnt recognise 'sfc'.
I did save folders etc onto a remote harddrive and I did make a system backup dvd disc just before doing the above but I don't have the original Windows installation cd. I'd prefer to just start all over from Factory Reset at this point (without erasing windows) if anyone has any ideas?
Someone please guide me to what I can do next.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 09 April 2016 - 12:25 AM

1. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile folder and verify if it has the Desktop folder there.

2. If the Desktop folder does not exist, then create an new folder and rename it to Desktop or copy it from C:\Users\Default\Desktop location.

3. Open "C:\Users\[your user account]" folder. If you see two Desktop folders with one blank and the other with your Desktop items you need to delete the blank one.

Note: C:\Users\Default is hidden by default.

Press Windows key and X together to open Windows Explorer.

Click Organize and select Folder and Search Options from the menu.

Click the View tab, and then click Show hidden files, folders, and drives.

Uncheck the box which states Hide protected operating system files.

Click Yes to confirm, and then click Ok button.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users