Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TM-AC1900 Router Drops Connections at Night

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 yamiikaze

yamiikaze

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 08 April 2016 - 09:24 PM

Every day between 6pm to 9pm, my router (ASUS TM-AC1900 from T-mobile) will drop all it's connections for around a minute. This happened to my old router (Netgear N-300) too, which was the reason I ordered the ASUS router. I have also tried replacing my modem and changing power outlets for the modem and router. I assume this is a problem with my router as I cannot access the 192.168.24.1 page when my internet goes out. When the internet goes out, I don't have to hard reset my modem or my router, it just fixes itself after around a minute. Everything connected to the router goes out when this happens including a computer that is connected via power line ethernet. If it helps, my ISP is Charter and modem and router are located close to a washing machine, the breaker box, and the heater. This has me at my wit's end and would appreciate any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 09 April 2016 - 08:26 AM

Since this problem also occurred with the previous router, I believe something is affecting the router.  It might be something nearby that is triggering this.  The fact that the power line ethernet is affected too means that the problem cannot be isolated to Wifi only.  This might sound foolish but I think some good ole detective work is in order.

First of all, I would try to narrow the facts down as much as possible.  You could check the router's logs to see if there are any hints as to what is going on.  Also, if the logs cover several days, you might be able to narrow down the time frame.  Does the problem happen at exactly same time everyday?  Or does the occurrence vary?

Next, I would literally go to where the router is located and keep my eye on it within the time frame that the problem occurs.  I am serious.  Pull up a chair or something.  Get comfortable, but keep an eye on the router.  Does the router reboot?  Do the lights on the router indicate that something fishy is going on?  Is something in the immediate vicinity causing this?  Is the heater tripping on?

Finally, I would move the router as far away as possible from other appliances.  You might have to buy cables to extend the connection.  Yes, I know it's troublesome, but it might be the only way to get to the bottom of the problem.

BTW, which device are you trying to access at 192.168.24.1?  The router's web interface? 

#3 yamiikaze

yamiikaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 01:05 PM

Thank you for the response.

Yes, I am attempting to access the router's web interface from 192.168.24.1. When the router went out yesterday the system logs show:

Apr  8 15:16:56 dhcp client: bound 97.91.185.115 via 97.91.176.1 during 25854 seconds.
Apr  8 15:16:56 rc_service: ntp 690:notify_rc restart_upnp
Apr  8 15:16:56 rc_service: ntp 690:notify_rc restart_diskmon
Apr  8 15:16:56 rc_service: waitting "restart_upnp" via ntp ...
Apr  8 15:16:59 disk monitor: be idle
Apr  8 15:17:30 crond[582]: time disparity of 2771777 minutes detected
Apr  8 15:59:57 ntp: start NTP update
Apr  8 16:59:59 ntp: start NTP update

The connections logs yesterday also showed several "CLOSED" connections.

I've been keeping track of when the internet cuts out and the time frame appears to be random but within 1-3 hours of each other. I checked the router when the internet went out yesterday and both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz lights were off.

I will try moving the modem and router to a different location as you suggested, will report back later tonight.

#4 yamiikaze

yamiikaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 07:11 PM

If anyone else is having similar problems, I fixed the issue by changing the dhcp lease time on my router to 1 week (604800 seconds) from every 24 hours (86400 seconds).

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 12 April 2016 - 07:37 PM

Thanks for reporting back.  Glad you solved your problem.  Strange.  So does your router drop all connections once a week now?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users