Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mint SHA256sum's

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 08 April 2016 - 09:23 PM

Can someone explain exactly what the SUM is at this page for Cinnamon.  There are three lines of text, is that supposed to be all one line? argggh!

http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/stable/17.3/sha256sum.txt.gpg

And it appears they do not have them for 17.1 Cinnamon-64bit?  What are these people thinking?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 66Batmobile

66Batmobile

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 09:59 PM

Maybe something to do with this?

http://www.howtogeek.com/246332/how-to-verify-a-downloaded-linux-iso-file-wasnt-tampered-with

Gen. Barker - You haven't heard the last of this!!

Hawkeye Pierce - I wasn't listening to the first of it...

#3 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 11:19 PM

@pcpunk
"http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/stable/17.3/sha256sum.txt.gpg" is for people using GPG. It's an encrypted signed copy of sha256sum.txt; it must be decrypted in order to use it.

If you don't want to use GPG then use "http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/stable/17.3/sha256sum.txt" instead.

#4 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 01:13 AM

And it appears they do not have them for 17.1 Cinnamon-64bit?

854d0cfaa9139a898c2a22aa505b919ddde34f93b04a831b3f030ffe4e25a8e3  linuxmint-17.3-cinnamon-64bit.iso

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,987 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 09 April 2016 - 04:03 AM

Linux Mint Cinnamon 64 bit ISO shows to be OK on mine (sha256sum). 

cat@cat-XPS-8700 ~/Downloads $ sha256sum --check sha256sum.txt 2>/dev/null

linuxmint-17.3-cinnamon-32bit.iso: FAILED open or read
linuxmint-17.3-cinnamon-64bit.iso: OK
linuxmint-17.3-mate-32bit.iso: FAILED open or read
linuxmint-17.3-mate-64bit.iso: FAILED open or read
linuxmint-17.3-cinnamon-nocodecs-32bit.iso: FAILED open or read
linuxmint-17.3-cinnamon-nocodecs-64bit.iso: FAILED open or read
linuxmint-17.3-mate-nocodecs-32bit.iso: FAILED open or read
linuxmint-17.3-mate-nocodecs-64bit.iso: FAILED open or read
linuxmint-17.3-cinnamon-oem-64bit.iso: FAILED open or read
linuxmint-17.3-mate-oem-64bit.iso: FAILED open or read
linuxmint-17.3-kde-32bit.iso: FAILED open or read
linuxmint-17.3-kde-64bit.iso: FAILED open or read
linuxmint-17.3-xfce-32bit.iso: FAILED open or read
linuxmint-17.3-xfce-64bit.iso: FAILED open or read
cat@cat-XPS-8700 ~/Downloads $ 

You must download the list first & install 'gpg2' keyring. You can do so by this method. 

sudo apt-get install gnupg2

I began with Step 3 of this tutorial, you'll be prompted to install the code above if not previously done. 

https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2266

You'll also need to download the 'sha256sum.txt' list from this page. Without that in the Download folder with the ISO, the check can't complete. 

http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com//stable/17.3/

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,476 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 10:15 AM

Thanks 66Batmobile, holloface, raw and cat!  All those posts put me right where I needed to be.  cat, that was a great tutorial and will use it!  Would be nice if they Dated those tutorials? but get a little out of the comments as to how old it is, but still, can't they date those things?

With the other links that were provided...I now see the Parent Directory for Mint here for anyone else that want's all of them in one place.  Grabbed Cinnamon .1 last night with the md5, good enough for now.  Why .1? well because if I need to install to a pc that don't like .2 - .3 this one is the better ime.

Thanks again!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,987 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 01:34 AM

You're right, some computers doesn't like to go over 17.1, had two of my own, fortunately the issue that affected me was fixed, and thank goodness they didn't go with the latest Linux headers/image (4.3.0) with lots more zeros in the version. Otherwise, still would be on 17.1, as that was something I tried about 2-3 weeks before attempting 17.3 on the notebook setup for my wife. 

To my pleasant surprise, not only did cpufreq worked, I was also offered Genuine proprietary drivers out of the box, the only one labeled 'open source' was the Nouveau driver, and the recommended was the latest. Unlike previous installs, didn't have to go all the way back to 304.xx driver for stability. Mine was an upgrade & not a clean install, though one thing I'll say, those 'official' drivers are still open source, as it's in bold blue in the Driver Manager, all of the updates. The only one that doesn't say open source was a driver from some time ago (nvidia-352-updates). We're now at 364.15, that would be too far in reverse, other than one issue. 

Back then, at least my Displayport connection was running at 1.62Gbps x4 lanes, now it's regressed to 2.70Gbps x2 lanes, when it should be 2.70Gbps x4, that would give me the max of 10.8Gbps that my DP 1.1a monitor is capable of handling, if I had a true DP 1.2 monitor, the total would be over 20Gbps (whatever Gbps number x4). That's the weakest link in the chain & had I known more about Displayport, would had purchased a DP 1.2 model. 

Back to your issue, am glad that you're finding more solutions than I for now, as you see, it's far easier to perform checksums than to make components work at their advertised max. If there were dead pixels, I'd have a case for rapid return, though don't have the first one & it's over 2 years old, being a $300 monitor on promo at the time, there shouldn't be any. Maybe I should contact ASUS support on this, believe I did once & never heard back. 

Practice with those checksum alternatives & you'll find the best method that suits your needs or that you prefer. I learned last night while responding to you, as usual, on the run. :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 10 April 2016 - 01:35 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#8 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 06:30 AM

And it appears they do not have them for 17.1 Cinnamon-64bit?

punk, was that a typo? all other references are to 17.3

:wizardball:

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:03 AM

No, 17.1 is what I was looking for and it was all found in post #6  I know I know, there was a little confusion, no problems.

Linux Mint Sha-256-and md5-sum-Hashes: 

https://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/stable/

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,987 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 04:51 AM

Wow, they maintain a long list, only 13 & the 17 versions are currently supported, am glad that they included SHA-256 for Mint 13, as some has no other choice that that one, Linux Mint 13 LTS was one of the few OS's that has support for non-PAE CPU's. 

Well, Ubuntu 12.04 has a non-PAE, but they don't directly advertise it. Glad that I have it already, because just checked, the link in the last post (#4) of the below Topic gives a '404' error, has been taken down, must had been very recently, as I had downloaded it for someone else in their home just 2-3 months back. To run on a non-PAE Dell Latitude C640, yes that notebook is still alive & well, I cleaned it up per the provided instructions in your HDD Topic. They don't want users to have it, plus 16.04 LTS is on the way. 

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2046218

pcpunk, am happy you provided that above, the Mint links. With some searching of these, was able to find my first taste of Linux Mint, of nearly 7 years ago! :)

Didn't know there was a 64 bit version of my first taste of Linux Mint 7 (Gloria), downloaded all three, though only MD5's were provided. Used DTA on Firefox to grab all three inside of 10 minutes. :thumbup2:

https://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/stable/7/

Will have to try this in VMware Workstation Player for kicks & see if I can upgrade anything. it would seem that Firefox would update & Google Chrome may install. Am not sure what the universal image is for, maybe it's covered in the manual I downloaded with the ISO's. Though I'd not make a transaction on it, just a historical collection for me. :)

Thanks a million! :thumbup2:

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users