Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 hardadsl

hardadsl

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 08 April 2016 - 08:29 PM

Hi

I've got a Samsung RF511 Notebook, which came with Windows 7. I'm trying always without success to upgrade to Windows 10. During the upgrade process, there is a message that tells me to uninstall Samsung Recovery 5. The updater can't uninstall this software, and I can't uninstalled either (when I try to do it by using the Control Panel). Using Safe Mode won't help either.

Can someone help me, please? I'm stuck!

I get not only the message from Windows update, there is also a system message every time I try to uninstall Samsung Recovery 5.

The message is:

"An Error (-5005 : 0x80070002) has occurred while running the setup.

Please make sure you have finished any previous setup and closed other applications.

If the error still occurs, please contact your vendor Samsung

Error Code: -5005 : 0x80070002

Error Information:

>Kernel/KernelMedia.cpp (95)

>SetupNew/setup.cpp (836)

PAPP: Samsung Recovery Solution 5

PVENDOR: Samsung

PGUID: 145de957-0679-4a2a-bb5c-1d3e9808fab2"

Edited by hamluis, 09 April 2016 - 05:00 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to W10 Support - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 08 April 2016 - 09:02 PM

G'day Dan, and Welcome to BC

Before we start, do you have any means of doing a clean install of windows 7 ?.....original Windows 7 disc...??

To uninstall  samsung 5, please install REVO

When it is installed it will list the programs on your notebook.

Double click on samsung 5 and follow the prompts.elect the Moderate uninstall.

It will then start the built in uninstaller....this will probably fail....just close it and keep going. Revo will scan and then it will highlight the "next" button...Click on next and select all to Delete...confirm Yes.

Then click on next again...select anything else that is showing, delete, confirm Yes.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 hardadsl

hardadsl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 10:21 PM

Greetings Condobloke,

Thank you very much for your help!

I followed your instructions and Revo seemed to have uninstalled the Samsung Recovery Solution. I went with it to the end, including deleting registry entries according to Revo recommendations. Now, the software does not appear as on Control Panel, it is not listed as shortcut etc.

Nevertheless, there is a "Samsung Recovery Solution" folder in "Program Files (x86)", and, surprisingly, the Windows updater still thinks the software is there. It continues to ask me to uninstall it before continuing, but now Samsung Recovery does not appear on Control Panel, does not appear on shortcuts, and even Revo does not seem to be aware it exists anymore.

As the Samsung software folder still exists, I tried one more time its native uninstaller, and I've got a message like this (I'm trying to translate from Brazilian Portuguese to English): "Not possible to remove Samsung Recovery Area because it is corrupted. Use Diskpart tool instead". I suppose Samsung Recovery must have a partition somewhere, and maybe that has to do with Windows update "thinking" the software is still there.

I guess I can't do a clean uninstall of Windows 7. I never had a media of it. I wouldn't mind formatting the machine and installing Windows 10, but then I would lose the licence that gives me the right to install Win 10 in the first place!

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,959 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 01:28 AM

This is from This page

I have no information about your particular system.....32 or 64 bit etc etc etc....so the page is well worth studying.

It would appear that samsung recovery solution my need to be reinstalled.......and then uninstalled properly.  It may have been corrupt in your previous attempt to update to Win 10.

Samsung
Recovery
Solution
All versions
Win 7/Win 8
Stops running after error message
Backup feature not offered in Windows
Use Samsung SW
Update, or
limitations
Run Samsung SW Update to install the
latest version, Samsung Recovery
Solution 5.7, and then, when restarting,
press the F4 key when the Samsung logo
appears to run Recovery Solution to
update
it.
Upgrade
to Windows 10 is not
recommended if you want to use this
feature

Edited by Condobloke, 09 April 2016 - 01:30 AM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 hardadsl

hardadsl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 09:10 AM

Thanks again Condobloke!

I couldn't reinstall Samsung Recovery because the installer says there is no partition for it (the software leaves me no further options, just a "close" button). I even tried to use also a software called Samsung Update, so it has found the right version for the machine. yet I had no success one more time.

So my fear now is there's no way out of this.

Windows upgrade tells me I need to uninstall S.Recovery, even after REVO, and the upgrade can't uninstall it by itself.

At the same time, the S.Recovery uninstaller (there's still the software folder on Program Files x86) says the recovery partition is corrupted.

Now, I also learned that reinstalling the Recovery won't succeed either, once the installer says there is no partition for the software.

The S.recovery uninstaller tells me to use diskpart to fix the partition. I know nearly nothing about it. Would it help in anyway?

I don't mind losing the partition and not being able to ever use S.recovery again. To me would be good enough if the Win10 upgrader just got over this.

I suppose I can't install Windows 10 from scratch using a USB media, once then I will lost my Win7 OEM licence that gives me the right to upgrade to Win10 with no costs...

I'm not even sure now if best would be to keep things as they are. I've heard Windows 7 will have support until 2020... Really don't know.

#6 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 09 April 2016 - 10:18 AM

This is just one reason why I make regular full system backups to an external hard drive.  But have you tried SFC?  Open an administrator command prompt and issue this command: sfc /scannow .  That will check for and attempt to repair any corrupt system files.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#7 hardadsl

hardadsl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 05:03 PM

I've just tried the command  sfc /scannow. It was somewhat quick (I suppose less than 30 minutes), but the final result was that there was no integrity violation.

Is there anything else I can do?

Is there no way to "kill" manually this Samsung Recovery? I've never used, I won't use it, I just would like to have it out of the way of the upgrade process....

Would my chances of success grow if I used a USB image of Windows 10? In such case, could I still have it for free? (my Windows 7 licence is OEM, I have no media whatsoever, so I can see no licence written anywhere, though I legally have it)

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,959 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 07:07 PM

You can certainly try a downloaded image of windows 10 to a usb stick.......I think the result will be the same....but it is certainly worth a try.

Download from Here

(down the bottom of the page)

I think the eventual "fix" here will be to get rid of the partition.....which will probably involve the use of gparted. This is a tool I am not familiar with....I have used it a couple of times on my own pc's, but I am not sufficiently confident with the use of it to be guiding you through the use of it.

I will reach out to some others here and see if we can get some help.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#9 hardadsl

hardadsl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 09:16 PM

I don't know if it is of any help, but I can post some pics of the basics regarding my partitions (that's pretty much as far as my small knowledge lets me go).

I suppose the recovery partition is the smallest one (around 20GB), but I'm not even sure about it. I can only access files on "C" and "D" volumes when I'm using the Laptop, but diskmgmt.msc and diskpart list four partitions.

01_zpsbzloxheq.jpg

02_zpssqnsickz.png

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 09 April 2016 - 09:32 PM

Download and run AutoRuns. If you do a search for Samsung are there any services or drivers listed? 

#11 hardadsl

hardadsl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 09:49 PM

Hi, John,

Yes, I've used autoruns and I've found the following services and drivers

autoruns%20-%20samsung%20services_zpsxo2

autoruns%20-%20samsung%20drivers_zpslkpg

#12 hardadsl

hardadsl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 11:42 PM

I've tried the Windows 10 Image in a USB flash drive and the installer also demanded a manual uninstall of Samsung Recovery Solution 5. Again there was no way I could do it.

Nevertheless, there was something new this time. By using the USB stick, I could choose between (1) Keep personal files and apps (2) Keep Personal Files Only (3) nothing.

I can see right now that if I choose (2) Keep Personal Files Only, Windows tells me that everything is ready for the upgrade. So apparently it will succeed this way. With such option, will I have to enter a Product Key? I don't have it, as my Windows 7 SP 1 is OEM, it came with the Laptop... I hope Windows considers the licence as a personal file.

I still would like to upgrade keeping personal files and apps (except Samsung Recovery). But if I have no other way, at least I could use "Keep Personal Files Only", provided I won't have to type a licence key....

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 10 April 2016 - 08:10 AM

The first thing I would recommend is to create a complete disk image to an external disk with software such as Macrium Reflect Free. Create the bootable media in Macrium which will let you restore the image should the computer no longer boot. If you do not create a disk image at least backup your personal data. Upgrading an OS always has the possibility of going wrong. 

You can also backup your activation files and key using Advanced Token Manager. Write down the key it finds. All the backup files are in the folder you unzipped ATM to before you launched it. Backup this folder to a flash drive. 

Windows 10 clean install should let you use the key you find using ATM. If not you always have the disk image to fall back on. A complete disk image should be done in any case. 

You can try unchecking the two Samsung Update Services but do not uncheck the Samsung Kernel driver. Reboot the computer and see if Windows 10 can be upgraded with all programs intact.

Edit: In Post #5 you said you could not install the Recovery software because it could not see the Recovery Partition. When opening Computer you said you cannot see the F: drive as shown in Disk Management.

Type the following commands at a diskpart prompt

list disk

select disk 0

list partition

select partition 3

detail partition

Is the partition listed as Hidden?

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 April 2016 - 10:04 AM.

#14 hardadsl

hardadsl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 10:20 AM

Thanks John,

I have a backup from EaseTodo US Free from 3 days ago, and I also have a boot USB stick that EaseTodo created. Wonder if that would be a good backup for the Win7 I'm trying to leave behind.

I also proceed as described and wrote down keys and saved back-ups by using ATM.

I unchecked the mentioned services (keeping Samsung Kernel driver), rebooted and, still, Windows Upgrader did find Samsung Recovery as an obstacle. How can it be? Apparently REVO deleted it from Register, Control panel, there's only a "Program Files (X86)" folder left!

Would it be too risky to work on partitions, now? Samsung Recovery has a partition somewhere, and I wonder if that could be in the way of Windows upgrade.

I'm checking diskmgmt.msc and diskpart (images on post #09), and I can't be sure about two things:

1) which is the Samsung Recovery partition (the one of 21GB, partition 3, volume "F"?) and

2) why there's a partition 0 "extended", size 337GB, listed on diskpart but not listed on diskmgmt.msc? When surfing my system using Windows Explorer, I can only see and save files on volumes "C" (Partition 2?) and "D" (partition 4? or partition 0?). Windows Explorer won't let me see volume "F" listed on diskmgmt.msc, and also won't let me see all the other stuff listed on diskpart and diskmgmt.msc.

Well, but if Samsung Recovery partition is indeed partition 3, could I manage to do the following without major risk(?):

1-On diskpart, select disk 0, list partition, select partition 3 & delete partition override.

2-On diskmgmt.msc, after diskpart operation, I suppose the deleted partition will appear after "D", at extreme right, where "F" appeared previously, but now with no letter and as "unallocated", in black color;

3-Maybe, if all that is true, I could, on diskmgmt.msc, just click with the right mouse button on "D" and choose "Extend volume...", choosing "ok" on next screens?

Would that work? I'm still not secure about those commands and even not sure Samsung Recovery partition is really "Partition 3", 21 GB, "F" (images on post #09)

#15 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 10 April 2016 - 10:48 AM

You can rely on the Easeus backup program.  I've been using it for 5 years with no problems.  

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users