Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Checking for updates" not working or very slow/taking forever (7 hours now)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 08 April 2016 - 07:50 PM

Still dealing with the Optiplex 780. I have not installed a single windows update since I got it, it just sits there all day "checking for updates". I initiated it around 1, it is now past 8:30 and it still has not done anything. it still says "Most recent check for updates: Never" "Updates were installed: Never" I am stuck with the bare bones Windows 7 SP1. There is not a single update in the update history or anything. It just will not install updates, going very slow, and/or taking forever. What can I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,900 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 09 April 2016 - 05:14 AM

Worth a look, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/949104 .

Louis

#3 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 07:00 AM

Thanks anyway. I got it updated. The computer restarted to install updates just as I was getting out of bed this morning. Apparently it took the whole night. By the time my coffee was made and everything, it was ready for me to type in my password

Edited by Sylveon Fetish, 09 April 2016 - 07:01 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,900 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 10:23 AM

Good patience :).

I had a similar experience about 2 weeks ago with a clean install of Win 7, so I was not surprised at the amount of time it took for things to clear up.

Happy computing :).

Louis

#5 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 10:43 AM

It sure doesn't seem like the search for updates with Windows 7 used to take so long.  I had to update from a year old backup, and the search took 2 hours 20 min. to find 144 updates, so I'm not surprised it took all night in your case.  Be sure not to install more that 40 or so at a time because otherwise it'll run and run and then crash, making you have to do it all over again.  If you didn't know better, you might jump to the conclusion that MS has slowed Windows update down for this version to goad people into going to 10!  Naw, they wouldn't do that - would they?  :bounce:

Edited by Niweg, 09 April 2016 - 10:45 AM.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,900 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 01:27 PM

It is...what it is.  No point in speculating, debating, etc., IMO.

Louis

#7 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 848 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 04:54 PM

M$ started trying to kill of 7 last summer and the first symptom (which I have seen a hundred times, now) is that the updates take for frickin ever to get started! 24+ hours, geeze....
BTW, if you use the media creation tool to get a fresh installer for 10, it includes the November update and now accepts a Windows 7 key as valid.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users