Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fresh install of xp

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 skatr4u

skatr4u

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 08 April 2016 - 07:19 PM

Removed linux to install xp sp3. When i boot from usb this is the menu i get ( http://m.imgur.com/zzBicqd )
I chose xp setup from iso (firadisk)formatted hard drive to ntfs then it reboots into xp installation. Then it says cant find asms. Insert cdrom and try again. Im using a usb not a cdrom. Tried every bath i could think of nothing worked. If i reboot same thing happens. Unless i boot from usb and choose option #2 continue xp setup. It goes back to the same xp setup and installs with no errors. But when i reboot as soon as it shows the windows xp loading splash screen i get bsod ( http://m.imgur.com/QczvNnX )
Also i cannot run in safe mod. I get bsod. Hopefully someone could help me id be so appreciative.

Edited by skatr4u, 08 April 2016 - 07:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 09 April 2016 - 09:50 AM

I would use Winsetup from USB for an XP install.

I would also wipe the disk as XP cannot see any linux partition formatted EXT. 

You can use the bootable version of Partition Wizard to wipe the hard drive. I would use Quick - Zero fill. You can use Rufus with the iso to make a bootable usb.

That BSOD error is due to a problem with the Mass Storage Controller. If you have a SATA disk then XP does not have the drivers on the install disk. You need to find out which controller you have and stream the Storage Controller into the XP install disk with nlite. If BIOS has an option to change the Mode from AHCI to IDE then make sure you are using IDE mode. Using IDE mode should eliminate the BSOD error. See if changing it allows your XP install to boot.

Here is info on Asms. I think this would not be a problem once you wipe the disk and do a clean install. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users