Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External HD Parameter Invalid?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Syid

Syid

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 08 April 2016 - 06:41 PM

HI I've been using my external for long time.. even last night. It suddenly stops today. saying parameter is invalid. asking if i want to format, is there any solution to getting my files back??

-I went Via Youtube to see solution, but I'm not to sure. I did the chkdsk /F /R /X

- It picked up that it is FAT32, ive read this only works NTFS, is that true?

Lastly, while I'm typing this.. it is currently 8%.. Am I going the right path, doing it this way or do you guys have another solution??

Thanks!!

Edited by hamluis, 12 April 2016 - 01:56 PM.
Moved from Intenral to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 872 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 07:27 AM

CHKDSK will work fine on a FAT drive; but, unless it is quite old, its probably NTFS and that may be the source of your problem. There is a good chance that the drive is failing and about the worst thing to do is the /R option which causes CHKDSK to attempt recovery of any bad sectors it finds.
What you want to do is to do a sector-by-sector clone of that drive and then attempt recovery on the copy.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#3 Syid

Syid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 03:28 PM

Hey thanks for the reply..

I Spent all night working on it. I didnt get no where good. It was telling me certain folders were deleted.  At Times using it i will get a prompt when i plug the drive in saying do i want to format. I will then cancel and I will be able to use it.

Im guessing some how it failed on me?  :smash: and yes its about 10 yrs old.

How do I do the sector by sector clone?

Edited by Syid, 09 April 2016 - 03:29 PM.

#4 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 872 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 04:03 PM

1) What is the make and model of the external drive????
2) STOP using it. Every moment it is left running may be its last so shutdown the PC, unplug it, and we'll address cloning it after you answer #1.
P.S. I have done this, quite literaly, 10,000+ times.

#5 Syid

Syid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 04:31 PM

WD Elements mdl = wd5000e035-00

Yikes I didn't know. I Noticed it Freezes my Pc from doing anything such as installing or deleting. until I unplug it.

#6 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 872 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 05:31 PM

You will need another 500GB hard disk drive and a desktop PC that works.

For example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Digital-RE4-WD5003ABYX-500GB-SATA-3-0Gb-s-3-5-Enterprise-Hard-Drive-/111930324638?hash=item1a0f91369e:g:sHAAAOSwP~tW3-QB

Do you have access to a working desktop PC?

#7 Syid

Syid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 05:35 PM

No I don't have access to a desktop pc, however I do have another laptop and a fresh external tb. So is this new drive for the sector by sector clone? or you're saying my external is completely finish? 

#8 Syid

Syid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 05:37 PM

I think I see where you're heading I need the desktop pc for the sata to be connected? to perform a clone maybe? 

#9 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 872 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 05:43 PM

Native SATA is always the best way to approach a data recovery task because USB forces the software to use non-standard functions rather than the drives native commands.
I keep three PC's, here in my shop, with cables and power for up to six hard disk drives expressly for the purposes of data recovery, cloning, or forensics. I connect the failing drive and a good drive of similar capacity as the 2nd and 3rd drives then "clone" the failing drive to the good spare. It goes MUCH faster using SATA and gives me far more control for solving problems.

#10 Syid

Syid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 05:53 PM

Hmm I see. So question the new drive i have is.. Seagate backup plus tb, mdl : SRD00F1

- Would I be able to use this seagate backup drive.. to perform the clone?? 

:smash:  :smash:  I Realize you mention USB isn't a good approach.

So is there any other solution beside the Native SATA? because I'm on a budget to purchasing a new HD

#11 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 872 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 07:47 AM

USB will be 10 times slower and may have severe issues with the bad sectors; but, you can try this: http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-Raw-Copy-Tool/
Bear in mind that the destination drive will lose everything that was on it!

#12 Syid

Syid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 10:58 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I guess I'll give it a try, but from your knowledge. Why or how would it lose everything? If im going to try back it up. Guess this hddguru dont sound like a good idea if it's not safe. Looks like ill have to wait till I'm on a good budget to just try Native Sata.  :scratchhead:

#13 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 872 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 06:21 AM

When you clone a hard disk drive, you replace the contents of the destination drive with those of the source, one sector at a time. Its not like you were copying files; you're replicating the entire filing cabinet. Whatever is currently on the destination will be irretrievably gone when you are done.
Heck, even the sizes of the partitions will change to what the source drive supplied.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users