Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help reinstalling Vista

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 08 April 2016 - 04:24 PM

I am reinstalling Vista in my computer and ran into a problem with the Realtec Etherne t adapter. I get a code 10 and basically I am instructed  to copy info from the manufacturer to the computer with the problem. How can I do that when I can' t access then internet?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 04:53 PM

You can get download the drive on another computer and then copy to a USB flash drive for install. Do you have a yellow exclamation mark next to any devices in Device Manager? 

Right click the device, select Properties and under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line from each device. Even if the Realtek device does not have a yellow exclamation mark post the first line in Hardware IDs.

What is the make and model of the computer and is Vista 32bit or 64bit?

#3 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 05:53 PM

dell Inspiron 537 and Vista 32 bit.

Both the graphics  and network adapter have yellow markers. The network adapter is a Raltek and I have  to get back to you on the graphics.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 06:02 PM

Please post the first line of the Hardware ID list.

devicedriverdetails_thumb.png

#5 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 06:17 PM

PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8136&SUBSYS_02E21o28&REV_02

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 06:29 PM

Download the driver here.

Vista and Server 2008 Auto Installation Program (SID:1801665)
106.13 2016/3/3 6056k

#7 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 06:43 PM

Having trouble. I am on another computer that has windows 7. When I hit the download, it takes me to open, save and no download. Too if I right click on the "global" it tells me that paint can't open that . Although I have a usb stick in the socket,  I am not presented with an option to load it there.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 06:46 PM

Let me see if I can download it and post a Dropbox link. That should work. I will edit my post in a bit.

Edit: Here is the Dropbox link.

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 April 2016 - 06:50 PM.

#9 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 06:59 PM

OK, I think I got it,. I'll be back to you, got  to fiddle with the computer a little.

#10 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 08:00 PM

Realtek was corrected and the yellow tag removed, but I still can't get on line. I'm getting  an error 815; The broadband network connection- the remo te server is not reponding---  - - -- - -  -

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 08:20 PM

This seems to be a Vista problem. See this thread. Can you connect by creating a new user account?

Edit: See this page for possible solutions.

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 April 2016 - 08:24 PM.

#12 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 10:52 PM

No luck anywhere. I contacted my ISP Cox since error 815 mentions that the connection could not be completed because the remote server di d not respond. Too, i t says that the problem could be caused by an invalid value for the "Service Name" field for this connection. Please contact your ISP and inquire about the correct value for this field and update it in the connection properties. Whe I asked for  the Service Name, I was rewarded with a referal to a PC Repai and I further inquired about how I was supposed to access a PC Repair when I can't get access to the internet. I didn't think they were THAT bad but I guess so,. 

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 08:16 AM

Turn off your modem and if you have one the router. Then start the modem and then router. If you have already done this per the link I posted then try this fixit. 

You have Vista SP 2 installed, correct? If not then you need to install SP1 and then SP2. Here is the link for the standalone SP1 and SP2.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/learn-how-to-install-windows-vista-service-pack-2-sp2

Personally, because Vista only about one year of support left before Security updates are no longer available I would look at installing a linux distro if you have no Windows applications that are must have. 

If your computer has over 1GB or Ram I would look at Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.2 LTS. You can download the iso here and burn it to disk using a program such as Imgburn. Boot the DVD and it will run from RAM and DVD. If you can connect to the Internet via Ethernet then you know you are dealing with a Vista issue. This distro will run very well on a computer with 2GB or RAM. If you do not have a blank DVD I can post instructions for using a USB flash drive.

Here is a video overview. For most Windows programs there is a linux equivalent. 

#14 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 10:37 AM

Problem solved.  My objective was to go to Windows 7 Pro and  since my computer was originally a Vista O/S upgraded to Windows 7 Pro, I was trying to follow the same steps with a reinstall but I ran into problems every step of the way as you know,. I finally found out, very late last night, that if I was reinstalling Vista it had better be with SP2 since that is what is supported,. My reinstall wasn't with SP2 and I didn' t have any other disks, so I took a shot with the Windows 7 Pro and here I am typing this to you. As it turns out, right now, I don't have anything in my Control Panel and I went to BC from Yahoo and it was very slow going, which was one of the problems that I had before the reinstall. When I did get to BC and clicked to the sign on, it took a long time, so I don't know if the reinstall has solved any of the problems I was having before it and  it remains to be seen. Usually, I was woking from Google Chrome. Now, I will go on to download what I need and see how things go. I don't expect a miracle and maybe I need a new computer but I'll find out. I do have a new hard drive with 1T so I do have plentiy to accomodate the Linux you mention and maybe change would be good. I'lll see. Meanwhile, thanks for your lhelp and maybe we'll meet again.

#15 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 10:39 AM

Problem solved.  My objective was to go to Windows 7 Pro and  since my computer was originally a Vista O/S upgraded to Windows 7 Pro, I was trying to follow the same steps with a reinstall but I ran into problems every step of the way as you know,. I finally found out, very late last night, that if I was reinstalling Vista it had better be with SP2 since that is what is supported,. My reinstall wasn't with SP2 and I didn' t have any other disks, so I took a shot with the Windows 7 Pro and here I am typing this to you. As it turns out, right now, I don't have anything in my Control Panel and I went to BC from Yahoo and it was very slow going, which was one of the problems that I had before the reinstall. When I did get to BC and clicked to the sign on, it took a long time, so I don't know if the reinstall has solved any of the problems I was having before it and  it remains to be seen. Usually, I was woking from Google Chrome. Now, I will go on to download what I need and see how things go. I don't expect a miracle and maybe I need a new computer but I'll find out. I do have a new hard drive with 1T so I do have plentiy to accomodate the Linux you mention and maybe change would be good. I'lll see. Meanwhile, thanks for your lhelp and maybe we'll meet again. PS. Couldn't play the vfideo and I probably need to install some media stuff but I will get back to you on that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users