Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Image file size decreases

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 nati12

nati12

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 08 April 2016 - 02:23 PM

My English is not good, then hope you understand through Google translate.

I spent a few pictures from the phone to the computer. Each image was between 5-7MB. At first the picture was the original file size, but after opening the image in the image viewer of windows then i closed, Was written "saver" and then later I saw a picture fell from 7 MB to 3. Why is this?

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 08 April 2016 - 04:07 PM.
Move from Win 7 to 'Graphics and photo editing'.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,728 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 08 April 2016 - 04:23 PM

Google translate has worked for you - your post is fully understandable !

First of all - welcome to BC and 'Viva Barcelona !'

When you transferred your photos to the computer there was no need to 'Save' them, and after viewing them there was no need to save them as they were already saved on your computer.

You do not say what application you were using but a lot of applications do not save JPEGs at 100% by default but at some lower figure. If the default in the application you were using is set at 50% this would explain the difference. Viewing a JPEG image should never affect it at all but JPEG is a 'lossy' format and every time you process such an image you lose some of the information in it.

Processing a JPEG two or three times makes little difference, so long as you are saving changes at 100%, but try 30 or 40 !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users