Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bs01jt

bs01jt

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 04 August 2006 - 03:11 AM

My problem started with what seemed like an overheating issue. Whenever i would start a game the PC would beep continuously for 15 minutes and then restart itself, presenting a warning message on start-up informing me that my CPU has overheated.

I decided to buy a new case from Dabs.com and transferred all my equipment over. I also bought a new sound card. After connecting everything i turned it on and there was just a blank screen until the windows XP screen loaded up which had lots of white lines obscuring the screen. I tried a different monitor that unlike my regular monitor did not have a DVI connection, whilst i could see the DOS information on start-up the screen still had the white lines across it but in a different pattern. I then reverted back to my regular monitor and checked the device manager. For some reason my graphics card appeared twice which i do not remember seeing before. I uninstalled one of the entries but this did not change anything apart from altering the pattern of the white lines. The next step i took was to uninstall both entries, again the pattern of the white lines changed on reset but windows detected the graphics card twice. I then re-installed all the graphics card drivers and the VIA 4 in 1 drivers (for the AGP) but upon start-up i couldn't see anything at all, not even the windows screen but there is hard disk activity.

I think my next step is to try to use the on-board graphics (motherboard) with a different monitor and i was thinking of doing a system restore. I have checked all the power connections and made sure that everything is slotted in correctly. The only thing that i can think of that has changed is going from a 300 watt power supply in my old case to a 520 watt power supply in my new one but as the distortion on screen isn't constant i don't think i have damaged my graphics card.

I would greatly appreciate any help.

My system details are:
Windows XP Pro sp2
Athlon 64 3400+
Asus K8V SE-Deluxe motherboard
Connect 3d X800 XT 256mb graphics card
Creative X-Fi platinum elite pro sound blaster
2x 512mb RAM
DVD-ROM drive and CD re-writer
40mb Seagate hard drive
160mb Seagate Barracuda Hard drive
BenQ FP783 LCD monitor
Dabs Xtreme silver gamers case

Edited by bs01jt, 04 August 2006 - 03:14 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 05 August 2006 - 03:24 AM

have you tried removing the card physically and then reseating it? It might not be seated secure. Does that model of x800 use an addl power connector? I know the XL does but not sure about the XT. If it does try another power connector, although I doubt this is the problem.

If you need to re-install your ATI drivers use Driver Cleaner after uninstalling through the control panel. Sometimes the uninstall is a little sloppy and driver cleaner gets the scraps. I haven't used it yet, but it got a good recommendation and best of all its free. Then, of course, use the newest Catalyst drivers from ATI.

Has your overheating issue gone away? or have you not been able to do anything to re-test since the gfx are wacky?

#3 bs01jt

bs01jt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 02:32 AM

Thanks for the tips.

Well i checked the seating of the graphics card, which was fine and then decided to format and re-install windows which would completely get rid of the old drivers. Unfortunately this achieved nothing!

I then used my mates graphics card and it loaded up fine, no graphics problems. I think this was a Geforce 5200. After installing all the windows updates and restarting the computer it ended up resetting itself every time it reached the XP start up screen for about 6 times in a row with no error message which worried me quite considerably.

I had a look in the computer and checked the connections, removing and re-inserting the Geforce graphics card. When i turned it back on nothing happened. Everything inside is correctly wired but there is now nothing on the monitor and no hard disk activity!

I think i'm being driven slowly insane!

Could the problem be the case or the power supply overloading the motherboard components? But then why would only the graphics cards be affected (well i suppose its now the hard disks as well).

I'm very confused!

(oh and i haven't had a chance to check about the overheating, and the X800 XT does use an additional power connector)

Edited by bs01jt, 07 August 2006 - 04:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users