Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost NTFS partition and data

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Whiznot

Whiznot

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 08 April 2016 - 12:40 PM

Please, I'm in sore need of expert help.

Today I screwed up. I'm running Windows 7 64bit. My external 2TB NTFS drive of movies and recorded TV is connected by USB3. I was trying to write a Raspbian recovery image to a USB-connected micro SD card and I accidentally wrote to the large NTFS drive. Now my large movie drive identifies as a FAT partition. I'm hoping to be able to recover my movies. I need the ability to convert FAT to NTFS without losing the NTFS files that were not overwritten by the Raspbian image.

Edited by hamluis, 08 April 2016 - 04:31 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Disk Management - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 05:01 PM

The data is most likely lost but try the following. Download Minitools Partition Wizard here. Run the program and select Partition Recovery. Do a Quick Scan. Double Click on any partition found. Do you see your files? If not do a Full scan which on a 2TB drive will take a long time. Double Click any partitions found. If you see your files then check the partition that has your files. Click Finish then Apply. Only check the partition that shows your files.

If you cannot find your partitions you will need to scan the computer with recovery software such as the freeware PhotoRec or Easeus Data Recovery which allows up to 2GB of data recovery for free.

#3 Whiznot

Whiznot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 07:09 PM

Thank you for the helpful suggestions. I was considering Minitools Partition Wizard but had no experience with it.

This morning when I screwed up it was such a shock that I felt physically sick and my brain was scrambled. I totally freaked out. Nine hours later while watching The Masters golf tournament I remembered that six months ago I bought a spare drive and backed up my media drive. Even if I can't recover I haven't lost much. I'm going to celebrate not being a complete idiot.

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 08:04 PM

...I remembered that six months ago I bought a spare drive and backed up my media drive.

That might be the smartest thing you ever did.  Lotsa people don't know the meaning of "backup".  Glad you are okay now.

#5 Whiznot

Whiznot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 01:47 PM

Thanks for the replies.

All I lost was a few DVRed episodes of Jimmy Kimmel and The Daily Show. I bought a new drive to backup my backup drive. Just for the experience, as soon as I have some free time I'm going to try to see if I can recover the drive I screwed up

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 10 April 2016 - 06:35 AM

Been there, done that with different folders/files; I can relate!  Now, almost weekly, each of my three computers' data and OS paritions get two full images on two separate usb external hard-drives made.  And, using Teamviewer along with Resplendence's Undelux, I can recover deleted files within folder[s] if I act on it really quick.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users