Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Swtcheroo happening.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 08 April 2016 - 12:07 PM

Greetings: Re: Windows 7 O/S
In the process of navigating, most of the time, I use the Google browser. When I go to a website that I might want to visit again, I ask that it be added to my desktop. The result is a box usually the logo of the website and of course, if I want to go to it again, all I have to do is click on to the Icon and I am taken to the website. Lately, for some of those Icons, it is not happening that way and instead, when I click on to the Icon I am taken back to my Google browser rather than the website. What happened?

Edited by hamluis, 08 April 2016 - 05:49 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 08 April 2016 - 02:26 PM

Right-click on one of the affected shortcuts and select Properies from the context menu.  Select the Shortcut tab in the Properties window.  Take a screenshot and post it with your next reply.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 08 April 2016 - 04:56 PM

This topic has very little to do with Windows and a lot more to do with the Chrome browser (Google's browser).

I use Chrome mainly for comparison purposes, to make sure that the two web-sites I run appear properly, so I imported my bookmarks from Firefox when i installed Chrome. I have to ask why you are saving links to web-sites as desktop icons when every browser, including Chrome, has a built in method of bookmarking web-sites you want to go back to. I currently have about 3-400 bookmarks organised by subject.

If you look at the right hand end of the address bar in Chrome you will see a star shaped symbol. If you click on this it will bookmark the page you are looking at. You need to choose a location - either the bookmarks toolbar or a bookmarks folder - then click done.

To return to that web-site all you have to do is click on the link on the bookmarks bar or click on the link in a folder of links on the bar and you will be there !  This system is built into every browser and it avoids you cluttering up your desktop with links to web-sites. Much more elegant. It also allows you to back up your bookmarks to an HTML file where you can just save them against a computer failure or copy them into another browser should you wish to.

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 08 April 2016 - 04:58 PM.

#4 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 08:02 PM

OK, thanks.

#5 peterlonz

peterlonz

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 18 April 2016 - 02:33 PM

Chris,

Obviously your approach works for you.

I have rather more bookmarks than I can manage & find the almost endless process of sorting very time consuming.

It's just easier to Google & go from there.

When I initially used bookmarks & there were not too many I still noticed that the shortcuts on my Desktop were much easier to access.

Periodically I cull a few but soon add others. Currently I have about 30 on my desktop which is about as many as I think you'd want to see there.

Just saying.

Peter O

#6 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 18 April 2016 - 04:09 PM

I am the person who posted in your thread and directed you to Chris' post.  Don't you think it's better to reply to me in your thread instead of posting here?

#7 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2016 - 04:20 PM

I had Windows 10 with boring squares of apps and  with that as boring the  Microsoft Edge "e". As time passed, there was a change made via an update that changed the form of an app into a Google ball. (I refer to the Google logo as a Google ball because it reminds me of a Beach ball). So, imagine those 30 bookmarks that you speak of as 30 Google balls on your desktop with each identifying the website in name only. So that means that every time you added a website to your desktop, it would be in the shape of a Google ball. It's a Carnival. To me, Microsoft was dictating to me what my desktop will look like. So, I returned to Windows 7. I found that I could use the same process to add websites to my desktop and go from the Google browser. I would  then click on to the website and when I got there, click on to those three bars in the upper right hand corner of the screen and go to tools, other, and  I got the add to desktop box. Then  clicked on to that and I got the website logo which turned out to be effective only once.  Then every time after that when I clicked on  to the logo, I got the Google browser making the logo  useless, so, more of the same. I discovered that I could pin a website to my desk tip by using another browser (in my case, it's Yahoo). I go from Yahoo to a website and when I get to the website, I right click a white or vacant area and I get a list of options and among them is "create a shortcut" and I click on to that and the next time I see my desktop I see that new addition. Now I have an array of about 20 websites all with their own logo and ID  colorful and in their own way, a lot more interesting than a bunch of Google balls. My problem is solved. Thank you for your input and good luck.

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 18 April 2016 - 06:40 PM

Robert, I apologize for closing your topic.  I got confused and closed this one by mistake.

I have unlocked it.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 18 April 2016 - 06:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users