Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clean install of Windows 7 Pro, on Windows 8 laptop

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Kitty-Nin

Kitty-Nin

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 08 April 2016 - 10:27 AM

Okay, I just bought a new laptop, which is a windows 8 computer that came with windows 7 pro from the seller, via the downgrade rights option in windows 8. I want to do a clean install of windows 7 pro, to remove bloatware, but I am not sure how to go about this since the windows 8 computers don't come with product keys and instead have them embedded in the BIOS. I am familiar with how to do a clean install from USB, just not with this new product key crap microsoft is doing now.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 08 April 2016 - 10:49 AM

If this is a OEM computer you will have to purchase a retail copy of windows 7, wipe the hdd with a program which will overwrite the entire disc, then install Windows 7.  You will have to go to the manufacturer's website to download the drivers for Windows 7.  If you are going to purchase a retail version I would suggest purchasing the 64-bit version.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 08 April 2016 - 10:50 AM

Do you have the drivers from the manufacturer[s] needed for Windows 7 already [on either a usb or dvd]? 

dc3 and I posted at the same time concerning drivers.  Hence the "duplication."

Edited by RolandJS, 08 April 2016 - 10:51 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 Kitty-Nin

Kitty-Nin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 11:14 AM

I do not, I was planning to download the ISO and mount it to a USB drive.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 08 April 2016 - 11:26 AM

If you have the retail version of Windows 7 Pro on the computer then backup the activation files using Advanced Token Manager and go here to download Windows 7 Pro.

#6 Kitty-Nin

Kitty-Nin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 11:30 AM

As far as I know this is an OEM copy.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 11:50 AM

There are no longer any EOM ISO downloads.  Microsoft removed all of the ISO downloads except for the one at their website which requires you have a retail copy of Windows 7. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 01:53 PM

...a new laptop, which is a windows 8 computer that came with windows 7 pro from the seller, via the downgrade rights option in windows 8.

If you are certain that the computer came with a license that has downgrade rights, you should be able to do a clean install of W7 Pro.  You don't have to buy any retail copy of Windows.  You can back up the token files like John advised and restore them after reinstalling.  You wouldn't be able to download the ISO at the link John provide because OEM keys won't be accepted.  Instead, you can follow this article to download an ISO from Microsoft Tech Bench.  Once you have the ISO, head to MSDN Subsciber Downloads and search for the matching Windows version you downloaded.  When you find the matching entry, click on the "Details" link to expand it.  Use something like Hasher Lite to generate a SHA1 hash for the ISO and compare it with the one from MSDN.  Once the hashes match, you know where to go from there.

Note: If the you computer is using UEFI, you have to follow this article to create a bootable USB drive.

[Edit]

Just in case, I would extract the key with ProduKey too.

Edited by Agouti, 08 April 2016 - 01:54 PM.

#9 Kitty-Nin

Kitty-Nin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 02:08 PM

Okay, thanks very much everyone. This is the reason I wouldn't be using Windows at all anymore if I didn't have certain programs for my school work that only work with Windows.... I shouldn't have to buy a new copy of windows or go through this much crap just to get a clean install.

#10 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 03:37 PM

Kitty-Nin, to be fair, the manufacturer is responsible for providing support when it's an OEM version, not Microsoft.  Your computer should have a recovery partition that was put there by the manufacturer.  If that partition happens to get deleted or corrupt, you have to contact the manufacturer and request a disc to reinstall Windows.  They may charge a small fee for the service.  In view of this, I am sure a lot of users would be happy to use the workaround I posted to put their hands on an ISO.  However, it's up to you to decide whether it's worth your while.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 09:10 AM

If you have the retail version of Windows 7 Pro on the computer then backup the activation files using Advanced Token Manager and go here to download Windows 7 Pro.

The following is a quotation from the Microsoft Product Download website.

If you bought a PC with Windows preinstalled, contact the PC manufacturer for the original key.

If you go the route suggested by JohnC_21 you will have to have that product code.  On two occasions I called two different manufacturers to get the product code for clients and was told that they don't have access to it.  I wish you the best of luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users