Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crashing PC

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bjorn132

Bjorn132

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 08 April 2016 - 06:22 AM

Hello wise people!

A few months ago, I decided to upgrade my computer since the hardware was getting old and i started getting crashes. I managed to install some new hardware but the crashes were still present.

Old hardware:

CPU: Some old AMD processor

Motherboard: ASUS M5A78L LE

RAM: 2 x Kingston KVR1333D3N9/2G

Graphics: AMD Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TXV2

Storage: 128gb kingston SSD + 1TB WD caviar blue

Cabinet: AeroCool Strike-X White Edition

New hardware:

CPU: Intel Socket 1150 Core I5-4690K 3.5 GHz

Motherboard: GIGA GA-Z97-HD3

RAM: 2 x HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz 8GB Balck

Graphics: AMD Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB (same as before)

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TXV2 (same as before)

Storage: 128gb kingston SSD + 1TB WD caviar blue (same as before)

Cabinet: AeroCool Strike-X White Edition

I still need to buy some new parts but i really want to find the cause for my crashes first. I run windows 7 ultimate 64-bit.

Crashes

I thought the crashes occured due to overheating but that is not the case. My new hardware maintains a low temperature. The crashes occurs when i use my browser and especially when i run some light games like Hearthstone and tabs out to my browser (chrome or firefox). I've never crashed when running games that require more, like the witcher 3. I don't believe i've ever crashed outside of my browser.

When my computer crashes, the fans keep running and the lights are still on. The screen turns black and i can usually hear a "brrrrrrrr" sound in my headset. It happens a few times a day.

Fixes

I tried to use a 550w PSU for a few months but it did not make any difference.

I made sure the temperature did not go too high.

My drivers are updated and the harddrives have been cleared a few times since the crashes started.

Do you guys have any idea what could cause these crashes? I would appreciate any form of help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cheapbyte

cheapbyte

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 08 April 2016 - 07:33 AM

If you cloned your Win7 install from the AMD to the Intel, I have seen strange issues after that, a clean install is always the way to go.  Also, with any new system, I always run memtest86 for a minimum of a day to find any bad memory.

#3 Bjorn132

Bjorn132
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 07:43 AM

I had exactly that issue when switching from AMD to intel but a clean install solved it. I will try memtest86, thx.

#4 Bjorn132

Bjorn132
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 05:49 AM

the memtest86 did not find anything. I've tested numerous blocks of RAM and none of them solved my problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users