Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Local Area Connection

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pengchee

pengchee

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 08 April 2016 - 04:01 AM

I have set Local Area Connection as first choice, Wireless Network Connection as second. In the tray icon,it is finding for the connection, it took almost 2 min.or so to find the LAN connection.  I have set the metric of LAN to 10 and wireless connection to 12 and also disable wireless connection. I would like it to start directly to local area connection at start up instead of searching for others before to local area connection. My OS. Windows 7 ultimate.

Thanking you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 08 April 2016 - 06:59 AM

I have set the metric of LAN to 10 and wireless connection to 12 and also disable wireless connection.

Metric?  Mind explaining what that is?  As far as I know, you don't have to set anything.  Given a choice between a wired and wireless connection, Windows will always connect to the wired first by default.  Also, once your ethernet cable is always plugged in, Windows shouldn't have to "search" for other connections before "finding" the LAN connection.  If that is happening to you, something is definitely wrong.

Edited by Agouti, 08 April 2016 - 06:59 AM.

#3 pengchee

pengchee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 09:34 AM

Thanks Agouti  Metric is where you set which connection you wanted it to take priority, if you have a LAN and Wireless connection installed in the computer (my opinion). When the computer boot the Internet access icon the blue spinning circle in the tray, spin for sometime and turn red X, after sometimes it turn to ! mark then finally to LAN connection. I do hope you and others can help.

#4 pengchee

pengchee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 09:35 AM

Thanks Agouti  Metric is where you set which connection you wanted it to take priority, if you have a LAN and Wireless connection installed in the computer (my opinion). When the computer boot the Internet access icon the blue spinning circle in the tray, spin for sometime and turn red X, after sometimes it turn to ! mark then finally to LAN connection. I do hope you and others can help.

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 08 April 2016 - 02:14 PM

Metric is where you set which connection you wanted it to take priority, if you have a LAN and Wireless connection installed in the computer (my opinion).

That's new to me.  Right now I am connected by both Ethernet and wireless and I don't have to set any connection to take priority.  Never had to.  Windows takes care of it automatically.

#6 pengchee

pengchee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 08:50 PM

Thanks again Agouti I also am  surprise why I could not get straight  to LAN instead of Internet access icon spinning to search for it, I do not use the wireless connection for now only for some purpose I only use. Well I do hope someone can help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users