Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problems doing a clean reinstall of windows 7 64 bit pro oem

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 yukpon

yukpon

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 08 April 2016 - 03:25 AM

i cant seem to boot into the cd like i have been told that when i boot into the cd i should see a message saying to press any key to get into the cd all the tutorials i see only cover bios i have uefi to get the system to boot into the cd and before i looked up how to reinstall windows 7 oem i put the cd in and restarted my system but no such screen saying press any key came up 

so i have come here to get assistance 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 08 April 2016 - 03:55 AM

In the UEFI interface you should have the option to revert to legacy BIOS mode which will enable booting from DVD.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 yukpon

yukpon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 04:44 AM

no i have looked all over the bios i dont see it
my motherboard is the asus m5a99x pro r2.0

Edited by hamluis, 08 April 2016 - 06:26 AM.
Merged posts - Hamluis.

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 08 April 2016 - 06:51 AM

yukpon, let's get some facts.  Did your computer come with an operating system pre-installed on it?  What operating system came on your computer?  Is there an operating system on the computer right now?  What operating system?  Can the computer boot right now?  What is the make and model of this computer?  Where did you get this OEM Windows 7 Professional disc?

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 08 April 2016 - 07:45 AM

In the UEFI screen, if you choose Advanced Mode and Boot, is CSM Support enabled? If not, enable it and either choose the optical drive as the first boot device, or press F8 and select it when the ASUS logo appears after you save and exit the UEFI control panel.

And since you've referred several times to a CD, as Agouti has requested, can you confirm the optical drive in the system is DVD capable, and if the Windows disc you have is a Windows 7 DVD install media or some kind of recovery/restoration disc?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 yukpon

yukpon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 09:40 AM

yukpon, let's get some facts.  Did your computer come with an operating system pre-installed on it?  What operating system came on your computer?  Is there an operating system on the computer right now?  What operating system?  Can the computer boot right now?  What is the make and model of this computer?  Where did you get this OEM Windows 7 Professional disc?

Did your computer come with an operating system pre-installed on it?

no it didnt come with an os its custom built 

What operating system came on your computer?

it didnt come with an os its custom built 

it didnt come with an os

Is there an operating system on the computer right now?

yes

What operating system?

windows 7 pro 64 bit oem

Can the computer boot right now?

yes but it boots normally but i need to know how to boot from the cd

what is the make and model of this computer?

its custom made 

Where did you get this OEM Windows 7 Professional disc?

tigerdirect.com

Edited by yukpon, 08 April 2016 - 09:42 AM.

#7 yukpon

yukpon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 09:50 AM

In the UEFI screen, if you choose Advanced Mode and Boot, is CSM Support enabled? If not, enable it and either choose the optical drive as the first boot device, or press F8 and select it when the ASUS logo appears after you save and exit the UEFI control panel.

And since you've referred several times to a CD, as Agouti has requested, can you confirm the optical drive in the system is DVD capable, and if the Windows disc you have is a Windows 7 DVD install media or some kind of recovery/restoration disc?

it turns out i needed to switch around the boot priority the windows 7 disk is an oem disk and i have used the disk for system recoveries and reinstalls before it was just weird that it didnt do it this time i dont think its a recovery restoration disk the optical drive should be dvd capable 

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 08 April 2016 - 10:22 AM

it turns out i needed to switch around the boot priority the windows 7 disk is an oem disk and i have used the disk for system recoveries and reinstalls before it was just weird that it didnt do it this time i dont think its a recovery restoration disk the optical drive should be dvd capable

Yes, you need to enter the BIOS and change the boot order so that the optical drive is the first device in the order and the hdd/ssd is the second device.  Press F10 to save these changes and exit the BIOS.  

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,479 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 10:28 AM

..and have the dvd in the drive as you enter BIOS, some BIOS won't change order unless it can read something in that device.  That's the way my custom-built desktop works.

Edited by RolandJS, 08 April 2016 - 10:42 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 10:34 AM

..and have the dvd in the drive as you enter BIOS, some BIOS won't change order unless it can read something in that device.

That's the way my custom-built desktop works.

All of my computers have been custom builds and I have never had a problem accessing the BIOS without a disc in the optical drive.

Edited by dc3, 08 April 2016 - 10:34 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,479 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 10:46 AM

..and have the dvd in the drive as you enter BIOS, some BIOS won't change order unless it can read something in that device.

That's the way my custom-built desktop works.

All of my computers have been custom builds and I have never had a problem accessing the BIOS without a disc in the optical drive.

There are exceptions - for me maybe because it's my brand of UEFI/BIOS that came with the mobo.

Edited by RolandJS, 08 April 2016 - 10:47 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 10:53 AM

Roland... my current build has the UEFIS firmware, still didn't need a disk in the optical drive tray. :deadhorse:

#13 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 08 April 2016 - 02:03 PM

it turns out i needed to switch around the boot priority

Glad you found the problem. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users