Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shutsitsselfdown(turns Off)whenpdf Download Attempted

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mother Trucker

Mother Trucker

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 04 August 2006 - 02:17 AM

Acer Aspire 5002 notebook, Windows XP Home.
Can never click on any pdf with very many pages or it starts this high pitched churning noise and turns off. Been doing it for many months so I can't do system restore. Also lately it checks files when I boot. Sometimes I have to try booting several times to get booted. I was told to re install windows. What would you do?
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2006 - 10:57 AM

Does it only do this with PDF files or are you experiencing other problems as well?

(A high pitched whine is not good. If it isn't a fan noise it may be your hdd going)

#3 Mother Trucker

Mother Trucker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2006 - 01:53 PM

For at least 6 months this was the only problem. Not being able to down load a pdf. Sometimes I could catch it and cancel the pdf before it turned off the notebook because the high pitched sound warns me that it will be turning off immediately. I have dial up. I don't know if I would hve so much time to prevent this if I didn't. I click on pdf because it WILL load the ones with only a few pages. I plan to get verizon Wireless when I go on the road soon, but it isn't available where I live, - no reception.

At this time it is also checking disk when I boot. Or turning off or whatever. It takes a few attempts to get it booted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users