Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD Issue

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 07 April 2016 - 11:09 PM

I have a Mushkin 500GB SSD installed in my machine that's been giving me some problems - I think.

This is a simple encrypted drive. I use TrueCrypt as the encryption software. My computer specs are in my signature.

A few weeks ago, I lost access to the encrypted drive. (By that, I mean that the drive was no longer detected). TrueCrypt informed me that this could be due to a defective data cable. So, I swapped out the cable, and regained access to the drive. All was well.

A few days ago, I lost access to the drive again. This time, I simply re-seated the data cable at each end, and the drive reappeared. This happened again this morning, so...

I opened the box, and took a good look at my cable arrangements. They all seemed to be fine - tied down when necessary and tucked neatly away. I can't detect any abnormal vibrations, really - though in all honesty, I wouldn't know normal vibration from abnormal vibration.

Any thoughts on this? Should I perhaps get the data off this drive (It's not part of my normal backup routine) and replace it?

Edited by MelissaPleases, 07 April 2016 - 11:11 PM.

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 08 April 2016 - 11:38 AM

Back up any and all data one wishes to keep now. If possible create an image of the drive in case one wishes to restore the image to a new drive.

Sounds like there is beginning of drive I/O errors (possibly drive-controller failing?). Is there another drive around by chance where with we can test this? If it is the motherboard bus controller; that would be another matter....

#3 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 07:00 PM

I actually do have another SSD that's not even been formatted yet - the same brand and model, actually. To clarify, are you advising I should try swapping out for the other drive and just see what happens?

I've just started creating an image of the drive...

Snowden03.png

Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 08 April 2016 - 07:48 PM

I would rule out the SSD by running Seatools for Windows. Do the short and long generic tests. It will work on your SSD even though it is not a Seagate.

How to Use Seatools for Windows

#5 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 10:55 PM

To clarify, are you advising I should try swapping out for the other drive and just see what happens?

I've just started creating an image of the drive...

Creating that image back-up was the main thing I was stressing. Even if the drive is fine: There is a back-up now.

Anytime (it seems) that check data cable or I/O errors start on a previously non-problematic drive (be it HDD, SSD, SD card, flash drive, CD/DVD or other storage media; storage device either was failing, needed firmware update or needed cleaned and formatted.

May also be worth running tests on the RAM.

Test the drive by all means: Since there is a spare drive laying about... why not swap it out and see if the errors continue? Couldn't hurt....

#6 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 04:39 AM

My deep apologies for not getting back to report.

The drive did fail completely - I have no idea why, just one of those things, I suppose. I'm grateful for the reminder to make an image before it finally did poop the bed...

Snowden03.png

#7 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 09:18 PM

Thanks for the update and diggin' your sig

"Notorious Thread Killer"

&

ES

:indian: