Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast detection of softonicdownloader44840.exe?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mujibyepi

mujibyepi

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 07 April 2016 - 06:16 PM

Hi.  I use Avast antivirus software on my Windows 7 desktop computer.  Today, I did a scan and it said that a threat had been detected.  It identified the file as softonicdownloader44840.exe, and it said the "Severity" was high and listed the Status as "Threat: Win32: Adware-gen [Adw]".  (I'm not sure what these classifications mean exactly, but I'm listing them to be thorough).  I chose to apply automatic fix and it said that it had been successfully moved to the Chest.

After doing this, I was curious about what this might be and googled softonicdownloader44840.exe.  I got all kinds of conflicting information, including one site that said this is an important file for certain functions on the computer.  I'm confused and don't want to trust random sites, so I'm hoping this forum can please assist me.  So far, I have not noticed any problems, but I want to check if I did something wrong by "fixing" this situation.

Does anyone know about this?  Thank you very much in advance if you can assist!

Christopher

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,935 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 07 April 2016 - 06:29 PM

This is the Download Manager that bundles the original software from the Softonic.com web site along with additional offers, mostly ad-supported browser extensions and utilities. The bundled software (which is actually not included in this file but downloaded) is most likely clean, the downloader is ad-supported. The application softonicdownloader44840.exe by Softonic International has been detected as PUP.Softonic.Bundler. The program is a setup application that uses the Softonic Downloader installer.

Analysis of softonicdownloader44840.exe

The detection is more accurately classified as a Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP)....which is defined somewhat differently by various security vendors and may or may not be detected/removed based on that definition[/b]. That fact adds to confusion and a lot of complaints from end users asking why a detection was not made on a particular file (program) they are having issues with.To learn more about PUPs and how you get them, please read: About those Toolbars and Add-ons - Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs)
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 mujibyepi

mujibyepi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 07 April 2016 - 11:42 PM

Thank you for your extremely helpful answer!  I'm glad that Avast detected and that I fixed it, even though it doesn't sound like it's a bad threat. 

Christopher

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,935 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 05:32 AM

You're welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 eLPuSHeR

eLPuSHeR

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 11 April 2016 - 01:21 AM

Do not use softonic to download software. Its installers come with bundled adware.

Edited by eLPuSHeR, 11 April 2016 - 01:21 AM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,935 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 05:58 AM

These are popular and safe third-party download hosting sites for software:
* BleepingComputer Downloads
* MajorGeeks
* SnapFiles