Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ROGUE FOLDER

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 tpetri

tpetri

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 07 April 2016 - 03:11 PM

i have a rogue folder that cannot be opened, deleted or moved ("access denied"). It's was no biggie until I accidentally moved a folder full of files into it and now it's suffering the same fate! Is there any way to undo or fix this? Any suggestions appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 07 April 2016 - 03:22 PM

Where (at what location) is this "rogue" folder and what's its name?

#3 tpetri

tpetri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 03:28 PM

Thanx for the response the folder is on my external drive (E) and its name is:

3568082211f9a82aaa4aad18bdae
I am the only owner of the folder.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 07 April 2016 - 03:31 PM

Two possible solutions, Safe Mode, if that does not work, try Puppy Linux usb or dvd boot, should be able treeclimb to the hostage-taking folder and move the hostage-taken folder and its files back to where it belongs.

What I did for such strange-named folders is:  set up TestDel[driveletter] folder on my C and on my D partitions. Any suspicious or unknown-to-me folder gets moved into one of those two TestDel folders.  If after some days, a couple of weeks, neither Windows or 3rd party program misses said weird folder[s], then I delete them.

Edited by RolandJS, 07 April 2016 - 03:33 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 tpetri

tpetri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 03:34 PM

Thanx for the response but I have no idea what you're talking about.  Could u provide more details?

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 03:40 PM

Wait, you have Windows XP, not Windows 7, sorry!  There may not be a Safe Mode, I haven't used XP much.

Ok, Puppy Linux dvd or usb is a set of Linux-based utilities that look and feel like GUI DOS of long ago days.

https://www.google.com/search?q=puppy+linux+download&oq=puppy+linux+do&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l4.13643j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

or, google Puppy Linux.  Numerous places for ISO downloads.  ISO files are burned onto DVDs or "burned" onto USB sticks by porgrams such as PowerISO and numerous similar utilities.

Once a Puppy Linux boot device is made, the computer is booted with it.  One eventually arrives at a desktop offering several choices, among those choices are any and all internal hard-drives "sniffed."  Within any hard-drive, a listing of partitions, a listing of folders within each discovered partition, and finally the files within each discovered folder.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#7 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 03:41 PM

I have one more question - how did the "rogue" folder get there in the first place?  By booting a Puppy Linux live, you would be able to reach into the "rogue" folder and move the other folder to another location.  A live Linux session doesn't respect Windows permissions.

#8 tpetri

tpetri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 04:08 PM

don't know how the folder got there.  I'll se  if I can find a dvd or tick, thanx for now

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,381 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 04:21 PM

I'm still trying to understand just what the issue is...what is a "rogue folder"?

There are many reasons why a given item may be more difficult to delete...and none of them have anything to do  with ascerting that a folder is something that normally is not attributed to such

Louis.

#10 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 04:21 PM

Follow this article to download a Puppy Linux ISO then burn it to a CD.  Leave the CD in the tray and boot from it.  You may have to change the boot order in the BIOS if you PC doesn't boot from the CD.  Once booted in Puppy Linux, browse to the folder and move the files/folders to another location.

#11 tpetri

tpetri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 04:27 PM

I used the term "rogue" because I didn't create it and cannot control it, further any sub folder I move into it suffers the same fate

#12 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 04:52 PM

Windows itself, has many folders that the user never created, and many that he can't control.

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 08:06 AM

I mentioned Puppy Linux mostly for the reason to help thread opener get to the folder accidentally moved into the mystery folder out of the mystery folder back to where it belongs.  The only folders one might want to get rid of are the folders uninstallers failed to remove during uninstalls.  Otherwise, leave mystery folders alone, they are often there for very good reasons.

#14 tpetri

tpetri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 08:21 AM

hanx for the info, i'll try the puppy linux and let u know wat happens

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users