Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Still find XP with IE6?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zerbey

zerbey

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 07 April 2016 - 01:55 PM

I'm tring to find a copy of XP that comes with IE6. So far, resellers on Amazon don't seem to be sure which version of IE their discs have. Is their some kind of identifier that helps you know which version of IE a certain build of XP has?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 07 April 2016 - 02:02 PM

According to this blog XP SP3 ships with IE6. Is there some reason you need IE6?

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/ie/2008/05/05/ie-and-windows-xp-service-pack-3/

Internet Explorer 6 Users

XPSP3 will continue to ship with IE6 and contains a roll-up of the latest security updates for IE6. If you are still running Internet Explorer 6, then XPSP3 will be offered to you via Windows Update as a high priority update. You can safely install XPSP3 and will have an updated version of IE6 with all your personal preferences, such as home pages and favorites, still intact.

#3 zerbey

zerbey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 06:17 PM

On Windows 7, I can can see IE11 as an update. When I uninstall it and restart, I have IE10, and I can repeat that until I'm all the way back to IE8. Or, I can go to "Turn Windows Features on and Off", uncheck IE11, and have the previous version of IE show up when I restart. 

All the advice I can find online says I should be able to do the same thing in XP to go back from IE8 to 7 to 6.
I've looked on the three copies of XP that I've installed, and IE8 doesn't show up as an update. If I uncheck "Internet Explorer" in "Add/Remove Windows Components", then IE doesnt show up at all when I restart. I was starting to think that some builds of XP released after some point might not let you roll back earlier than IE8?

#4 zerbey

zerbey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 06:19 PM

According to this blog XP SP3 ships with IE6. Is there some reason you need IE6?

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/ie/2008/05/05/ie-and-windows-xp-service-pack-3/

Internet Explorer 6 Users

XPSP3 will continue to ship with IE6 and contains a roll-up of the latest security updates for IE6. If you are still running Internet Explorer 6, then XPSP3 will be offered to you via Windows Update as a high priority update. You can safely install XPSP3 and will have an updated version of IE6 with all your personal preferences, such as home pages and favorites, still intact.

On Windows 7, I can can see IE11 as an update. When I uninstall it and restart, I have IE10, and I can repeat that until I'm all the way back to IE8. Or, I can go to "Turn Windows Features on and Off", uncheck IE11, and have the previous version of IE show up when I restart. 

All the advice I can find online says I should be able to do the same thing in XP to go back from IE8 to 7 to 6.
I've looked on the three copies of XP that I've installed, and IE8 doesn't show up as an update. If I uncheck "Internet Explorer" in "Add/Remove Windows Components", then IE doesnt show up at all when I restart. I was starting to think that some builds of XP released after some point might not let you roll back earlier than IE8?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 07:00 PM

In the link I posted is shows what happens when you have already upgraded to IE7 in SP2 and then upgrade to SP3. You then would not be able to downgrade to IE6. I believe if you purchase XP with SP3 you will get IE6. If you upgrade to IE7 and then IE8 you could then revert to IE6. 

I think the best option would be to install IE8. There is no good reason running IE6. In fact IE8 has many security holes in addition to those of IE6 and IE7. You would be better using the latest versions Firefox or Chrome unless you have some applications that only run using IE6. 

#6 sdfox 7

sdfox 7

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 03:07 PM

Just so you are aware, if you install Service Pack 3 after installing Internet Explorer 7 or 8, you must uninstall Service Pack 3 before you will be able to downgrade Internet Explorer to a previous version.

If you want to avoid this in the future, you must install SP3 first and then upgrade IE; this would allow you to downgrade IE without having to uninstall SP3.

You cannot uninstall Internet Explorer 7 or Internet Explorer 8 after you install Windows XP Service Pack 3 (archived version here)

Edited by sdfox 7, 09 April 2016 - 03:09 PM.

IBM ThinkPad 600E 2645-8AU (Win98), T23 2647-4MU (Win2000), T41 2373-7FU (WinXP)
My name is Stephen Fox. I am a '18 BBA and '20 MBA student at WCSU.
Disable Google Chrome End of Support Infobar on Windows XP/Vista

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users