Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ethernet Adapter

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 roaming333

roaming333

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 07 April 2016 - 01:28 PM

I hope some of you know about Xplornet, one of the ISP companies serves to remote areas. They do not have wireless service; They have installed a box outside the house and brought a cable through the wall. The cable has Ethernet ending that they have connected it to my laptop's Ethernet port.  It worked well.

But, I can not use that laptop any longer. I have a note-book I want to connect, only problem is that it has no Ethernet port, only USB 2 and 3.

I do not know enough about computers that is why I am not sure what type of Ethernet Adapter I should buy.

Note-book:
USB 2 and 3 ports.
Windows
There is no CD player therefore I can not install the Driver.

I have seen this adapter, would it be okay:

"Network Adapter, (Support Wii, Wii U; ASIX AX88772 chipset) UtechSmart USB 2.0 to 10/100 Fast Ethernet LAN Wired Network Adapter for Wii, Wii U, Macbook, Surface Pro,Chromebook, Windows 10, 8.1 and Earlier, Linux "

Please, do not reply if all you want to do is to insult me because you might think that my question is too simple to post here. I will appreciate if others would reply/help.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 07 April 2016 - 02:00 PM

Because your notebook has USB 3 ports I would recommend a Gigabit adapter such as this one. This just an example. You may be able to find a different brand locally or on ebay. What is your OS?  If you are using Windows 10 make sure the adapter is compatible.

#3 roaming333

roaming333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 07 April 2016 - 04:05 PM

JohnC,

I really thank you, you did not only advice me, you also gave me the link to the product.

Since there is no CD Player how can I install the Driver for this Adapter?  I read that Windows 10 can handle the driver issue for the Adapter I have shown as an example but no such information about yours.

OS is Windows 8.1 and 64-bi. but I need to update it to 10. - Dell Inspiron 3000, 2 in 1.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 07 April 2016 - 04:08 PM

Usually a USB adapter is simply plug and play. If you do need the install the driver then using another computer with a Optical Drive copy the driver files from the CD to a USB flash drive or you can purchase an external USB CD/DVD drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users