Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What windows OS do you recommend?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 The-Administrater

The-Administrater

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 07 April 2016 - 01:24 PM

Of win 7, 8 and 10, I choose win 7. Not too keen on the layout in 8 and have no experience of win 10. I eventually managed to remove those annoying popups about upgrading to 10.

Anyway which one would you recommend for general home use? Are there any advantages to the later OS's?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 08 April 2016 - 06:30 AM

Personally, I like 7.  I upgraded to 10 and it all seems sorta OK, but, I'm having a lot of problems running older games from Steam. (on my desktop) While not having any problems with the same games on my laptop, which also has 10. But it seems the problems started with 10, whether or not it's 10, or my video card, 10 gets the blame for now.

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 08 April 2016 - 08:24 AM

Anyway which one would you recommend for general home use? Are there any advantages to the later OS's?

IMHO, those questions are very subjective and not deserving of an answer.  Everybody is entitled to their own opinion.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 08:51 AM

IMHO, those questions are very subjective and not deserving of an answer.  Everybody is entitled to their own opinion.

Nothing wrong with gathering opinions and advice.  The best OS is the one most compatible with the hardware and the desires and wants of the end-user.  My three computers use Windows 7 Professional, which works for me and wifey, obviously our best OS is not necessarily the best OS for others.

Edited by RolandJS, 08 April 2016 - 08:53 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 Victor_Senior

Victor_Senior

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 08 April 2016 - 08:55 AM

Just as Agouti said, it's all about a personal opinion. I was using windows 8, then upgraded to windows 10 last week. First i installed the 32-bit, then after a few days i realised it was somehow slow so i replaced it with 64-bit. So far i've had no problems with it. I find it so much different from windows 8 and i must admit am not planning on changing it any time soon. Most people don't seem to like it though. I've been following people's reviews on several sites that  i saw on http://99sites.me/ and a great percentage of them are still not fully convienced to upgrade. Some say its design is  too hard for their children, so they can't have it for the home computers. According to others,it's layout is so unprofessional. On the other side, there are others like me who think it's developed in a cool manner. All in all, it's all about one's opinion, depending on their needs and for what purpose they use their PC's. You just need to be comfortable with the one you are using.

#6 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 03:02 PM

There are millions of Windows users and probably just as many personal preferences.  Where would this discussion go?

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 12:46 PM

There are millions of Windows users and probably just as many personal preferences.  Where would this discussion go?

The Computer Bible sayeth:  where two or three are gathered, there shall be four to six opinions.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#8 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 01:02 AM

For general home use I'd say Windows 10 just because it's the current version. Not saying it's better than Windows 7, personally I preferred 7. There is nothing wrong with running older versions of an operating system if you have a reason to do so (for example, I still have a Windows XP machine, and yes I use it online), but as a default I recommend going with the latest version.

#9 busdriver72

busdriver72

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2016 - 02:00 PM

I have folks ask me a lot.  I usually ask if they want something familiar, or if they're willing to learn something new.

Even if they only used XP or Vista, Win7 will be familiar to them.

If they're willing to accept a learning curve, then I say Win10. (NOT upgrade....full install.)

Windows 8 was so short-lived, and such a radical departure from the ease of using a PC I advise them to avoid it.

In view of the fact that I have gotten in many PCs messed up by attempting a Win7/Win8 upgrade to Win10, I don't advise people to do the upgrade.

Edited by busdriver72, 23 April 2016 - 02:01 PM.

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,103 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2016 - 06:13 PM

Of win 7, 8 and 10, I choose win 7. Not too keen on the layout in 8 and have no experience of win 10. I eventually managed to remove those annoying popups about upgrading to 10.

"Resistance is futile" you will be assimilated and your "biological and technological distinctiveness" will be added to our own Windows 10.  There is no other way, don't fight it lol.  

From my limited experience I like W7, but the Updates have become very slow, at least for me, and some others that I have spoken with and read about.  Especially if you have to reinstall from a disc or Recovery Partition.  W8 don't bother me either, well 8.1 I mean.  From what I see, read and have played with a little in W10, it is as good as any and has many cool features.  If you don't like all those slow updates then you might read up to see if others are having better update speed with 10 over 7, as I'm sure they are.  I'm always slow to move on, so I will stick with 7 because it is so familiar and like XP.  I really like the whole layout, and can't understand why a company would keep changing that, so that people would have to learn a whole other system.  Can't they just change what is needed to make it more modern and leave the good stuff alone?  If you do migrate to 10, I would just make sure that your pc is fully supported at the OEM's website or wherever necessary.

Edited by pcpunk, 23 April 2016 - 06:14 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#11 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2016 - 08:48 PM

Linux!

In seriousness I still favor windows 7 over windows 8, 8.1 and 10 but 10 isnt too bad either.

Neither can beat windows 2000 though, still my personal favorite of the Redmond OS's 

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#12 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 03:44 PM

Post#1, if you don't like windows 10 (many would agree with you) and you find windows 8/8.1 s interface odd then if you want a windows OS windows 7 is the choice for you, although you probably won't find it very easy thesedays to find any systems for sale with it preinstalled, you'll have to buy a copy of windows 7 yourself and buy a system separately, you'll have to make sure the system you buy either doesn't have any "secure"boot features or that secureboot can be turned off.

Personally I use 8.1 it's ok for me and I've learnt to make it as xp like as possible (that's what I had before windows 8) with all the tablety metro stuff avoided where-ever possible. But I'm learning linux mint as well, if you test it and find you can get the programs you use on windows to work under wine on linux (or find linux has alternatives to the programs you use on windows which are alright to you) then you might consider moving to linux instead.

If you pick windows 7 or 8/8.1 then you will have to pro-actively take GWX prevention steps, atleast until summer but possibly for longer because ms might decide to leave the time windows for upgrade open longer to "offer" upgrade to more users or "pressure"/"force" upgrade. You need to do more than just remove the pop-ups, you also need to make sure that there aren't any GWX traces on your system or windows 10 installation files already downloaded behind your back and lurking in the hidden folder C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\ on your harddrive.

Edited by rp88, 25 April 2016 - 03:44 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#13 busdriver72

busdriver72

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 25 April 2016 - 08:27 PM

Now, PCPunk, remember what Hugh said. (Or is it "Hue?") 

#14 Securex

Securex

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2016 - 04:06 AM

Different OS for a different purposes.

For a home work i prefer Win 10. But for anonymity Win XP is better to me.

IPleak.com - Check your VPN or Proxy!

Temp-Mail.org - Disposable Temporary email

#15 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 26 April 2016 - 07:43 AM

Most of the replies are of a personal experience as mine will be also.

I was always a slow mover to upgrade from the days of win 95 / 98SE and once you get used to something you stick with it.

So ive always been the last horse out of the stalls and always waited about 6 - 12 mths before trying something new.

Yet before i ditched what i had , it was easier to get another drive and Loadup the New Operating System and trial it , if i didnt like it ? swap the drive over back to what you had and no hassle.

I went straight from 98SE to XP and then when 7 came out i hesitated once again for 2 yrs before finally trialling and upgrading , glad i did and should of sooner , Win 7 is near perfect for my needs and i run it on 1 Laptop and 2 Desktops , and like hollowface 1 Desktop with XP Pro for other tasks and Online also , but not advisible for the weary or fool hardys { But thats another topic on its own }.

Ive never liked Win 8 / 8.1  - Metro etc or Layout but still repair them etc , but its not for me , or wanting to even try it.

i have repaired about 6-8 Win 10 machines and i quite like the layout and extra features and functionality and have no issues with it apart from how much and if ? personal info flows back to Microsoft { Eula Acceptance }.

If your happy with W7 and the Update issues  {as we all have to put up with at the moment}  then Stick with that and anything occuring is fixable anyway with help here at BC or general planning prior to doing the updates fiasco [ Backups - Images }.

Overall its how you feel about a System / Your Needs / and taking the step when needed and then applying the time to learn it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users