Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP not booting to USB or Recovery

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Namingishard

Namingishard

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 07 April 2016 - 12:20 PM

HP Pavilion 15 altect Sleekbook windows 8

Im trying to restore the OS because im getting a blue screen, but whenever i try and boot to a USB or recovery I get a blank black page forever, its not resetting or crashing it just stays on a black page with the back light on.
For USB sometimes it lets me choose which setup to enter(If the usb has more than one, I've tried multiple ISO's) but then once i do it never loads.
For recovery its the second I hit F9 to boot into it. Any suggestions? I have no idea what to do.
Legacy is on. Secure boot is disabled

Edited by hamluis, 07 April 2016 - 02:35 PM.
Moved from Crashes/BSODs to Win 8 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,298 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 07 April 2016 - 12:33 PM

What did you use to create the bootable iso file? I have had success using Rufus. I thought for a System Recovery the option would be F11 on a computer with UEFI.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03801890

If you tap Esc at boot does the startup menu appear? Select System Diagnostics and let it run through the memory and disk checks.

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 07 April 2016 - 02:53 PM

Instead of turning off Secure Boot and switching to Legacy, I would create a USB drive for UEFI systems.  Follow this article to make one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users