Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Everytime system reboots it fails to find my SSD and I get a black screen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MurphyMan

MurphyMan

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 07 April 2016 - 11:32 AM

Self-built machine.

ASUS A78M-E mother board. Rev. X.0x 
1401 BIOS, upgraded from 0401
Boot drive is a Patriot Blaze SSD, C:, also have a WDC hard drive, F: for files and several programs.
3.70 gigahertz AMD A4-6300 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
8 GB memory
Upgraded to Windows 10 from Win 8.

Whenever it tries to reboot, it can't find my SSD and I get Black Screen with message."Windows Boot Manager. Status 0x000000F. Boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible".  I hit F2 and go to BIOS 1401, you can see the Boot Priority SSD drive is not shown in the start path. That's funny, it was there before. If I hit F8 I can select the SSD and boot from there. This has happened on and off for quite a while. 

The boot selection window seems to re-arrange the order of preference on it's own.

I have gone into the Advanced Mode and reset the BIOS so it looks for the SSD first. It seems to be corrected, but for some reason it goes back to selection the HD F: drive instead of the SSD C: drive.

Any ideas?  Thanks.

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 07 April 2016 - 02:33 PM.
Moved from Crashes/BSODs to Win 10 Support - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MurphyMan

MurphyMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 11:58 AM

This is the screen that comes up when I hit F8. From here I can select P1, the SSD, to reboot the machine.

Attached Files

#3 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 07 April 2016 - 03:16 PM

What exactly do you mean you can't find the SSD in the start path? You should have a boot order and it sounds like the SSD isn't at the top of that order and maybe you have a USB drive plugged in.

#4 MurphyMan

MurphyMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 04:53 PM

No USB drive plugged in. If you look at the second photo, you can see the three drives, CD, HD and SSD. In photo #1, at the BIOS home screen at the lower left corner, the SSD is missing in the available selections. It should show all three, then you would use the mouse to drag them around in the preferred boot order.

#5 MurphyMan

MurphyMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 10:58 AM

Need a BIOS expert! Anyone?

#6 MurphyMan

MurphyMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2016 - 10:29 AM

Okay - solved it with help from Tom's Hardware.

In BIOS go to Advanced>Boot menu. In advance bios, boot menu disable all boot options then scroll dow past bottom of the page, click Hard Drive BBS Priorities, then boot option 1 YOUR SSD SHOULD BE THERE. Click back then click boot option 1 and Your ssd should be there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users