Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GWX Ctrl Panl - where is it installed on HDD?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 07 April 2016 - 11:11 AM

I've installed the GWX Control Panel on over 30 PCs and love it.  However I went to uninstall/reinstall yesterday (to show a friend what to click on), but it's not in the Start menu or the Programs and Features applet of the Control Panel.  If I look at MSCONFIG, it points to the registry.  If I look in the registry, it points to an I: drive, but I don't have an I: drive!   So where does it go when you install it?

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 07 April 2016 - 11:19 AM

From the User Guide. Depends on whether the stand-alone or installer version was used.

If you downloaded the stand-alone version: If GWX Control Panel's Monitor Mode is enabled, use the Disable Monitor Mode button to shut it off. Next, simply locate the GWX_control_panel.exe file you downloaded and delete it.

If you downloaded the installer: Open your Programs and Features control panel in Windows. Locate the GWX Control Panel entry and select it. Next, click Uninstall.  Optionally, you can browse directly to the install folder (the default location is C:\Program Files (x86)\UltimateOutsider\GWX Control Panel) and launch Uninstall.exe. Beginning in version 1.7 there is also an Uninstall GWX Control Panel shortcut in the Start menu, under the GWX Control Panel folder.

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 April 2016 - 11:20 AM.

#3 Niweg

Niweg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 11:37 AM

Thanks much, John.  I downloaded it on 3/13 and don't see it in either place you mentioned, but it is in my Downloads folder.  I guess I must not have version 1.7?  If I open it up, I don't see a version number.  Anyhoo I guess it's installing it from my Downloads folder, right?  That means that when I've installed it from my flash drive, then removed it, that would explain why it's not getting started, right?  TIA.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 07 April 2016 - 12:11 PM

That may be the case. I am wondering if there is anything in the startup folder or perhaps it is using TaskScheduler to startup at login. 

Was I: the letter assigned to your flash drive?

#5 Niweg

Niweg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 01:06 PM

That may be the case. I am wondering if there is anything in the startup folder or perhaps it is using TaskScheduler to startup at login. 

Was I: the letter assigned to your flash drive?

That could well be the case with the I: letter. 

When I look at MSCONFIG/Startup tab, it points to the registry entry HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Currentversion/Run in Windows 7 Pro.  I just bet that's why it worked when I installed it, but not after rebooting, then remembered my settings when I reinstalled.  Wierd, but that would explain what I've seen.  Now I'm just wondering how many of the other PCs I put it on have the same problem.  Oh well, I'm thankful for it anyway.  It does a great job, and I'm thankful for it.  We've all seen weird things on computers before, haven't we!   :spider

Update: I just checked two other PCs here.  They're pointing at C:\Downloads, so I think you've hit the nail on the head with the I: being assigned to the flash drive.  I should've figured that out myself, but have been in disaster recovery mode for the last week, and I'm not sure all my neurons have fully recoverd yet!   :unsure:  

Edited by Niweg, 07 April 2016 - 01:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users