Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems With Angelfire

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ES1

ES1

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 04 August 2006 - 01:00 AM

Hi Folks,

I a have a website hosted by Angelfire. I have a problem right now whenever I log in to my account there. I get a banner ad across the top which is constantly loading and reloading and causing me to lose work in the process. I have asked Angelfire about this a number of times now and they swear up and down that they don't serve ads in members' control panels. I think they may be telling the truth here because I logged into my account using a proxy server and there were no banner ads running across the top as there usually are.
I have run numerous scans using Kaspersky, ESET, Ad-Aware, Spy Bot, HiJack This, Spy Sweeper, Pest Patrol, AVERT Stinger, Ewido and SpyCatcher and all of them have found nothing. I really don't know what to do right now. I have for the moment come up with a band-aid solution by adding the web addresses of the banner ads to the restricted zones. Adding the web addresses to the restricted zones has stopped the banners from loading and displaying and ended the problem of losing my work and my work being interrupted by the ads but I think there must be a problem on my PC. I must be infected with something which has not yet been detected. I would be most grateful to any who could help me with this problem.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 04 August 2006 - 01:29 AM

I see you have HijackThis listed in the programs you tried.
Have you been trained in the use of HijackThis?
You should never attempt to fix anything using HijackThis, until someone who is experienced at reading the log outputs, has a chance to review it.
Fixing the wrong items can make a computer unbootable.
Removing entries in HJT before the problem is properly identified, and correct removal instructions posted, can make the problem undetectable to other detection and removal tools.

I suggest you post a HijackThis log for examination, , just to rule out malware, as the cause of the problem.
It can do some strange stuff to your system, so let's eliminate that as the cause.
A member of the HijackThis Team will walk you through, step by step, how to disinfect your computer.

Read Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log.
Please read, and follow, all directions carefully!!!

Then, run a log, and post it in the HijackThis forum, at this link. Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
It may take a while to get a response, because the HJT Team are very busy. Please, be patient, as these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

NOTE:
Once you have made the post, please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member, glancing over the replies, might assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit there, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 ES1

ES1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 04 August 2006 - 03:33 PM

Hi tg1911,

I've got a fair knowledge of PC security and software programs but you're right - I should consult an expert. My own analysis of my HJT logs has gotten me nowhere so far. So I will do as you suggest and go to the HiJack THis forum and post my log.

Thanks

Edited by ES1, 04 August 2006 - 05:36 PM.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 04 August 2006 - 03:50 PM

You're welcome, ES1.
Good luck with your log.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users