Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop RAM upgrade problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JokeR8gr

JokeR8gr

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 07 April 2016 - 08:40 AM

I have an old laptop HP G62-a12ev and i wanted to upgrade its RAM. It had installed a 2gb 2xr8 pc3 10600s. I bought 8gb (2x4gb) ddr3L 1600 sodimm HyperX to upgrade but after i install the memory and i can see in bios 8gb Ram on my system windows 7 doen't boot! It says that hardware changed and need repair but nothing after that shows the logo and back to that screen! I tried to find if i can lower frequency from bios (somehow) but there isnt any opion on bios. Is there anything else i can do?

*It runs win7 64bit home premium and after installing back stock ram it works fine...

If someone can help i would be grateful! Thanks again for your time!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 07 April 2016 - 08:45 AM

Most likely the new RAM isn't compatible.  First, you need to find out the maximum RAM your laptop supports.  It's useless installing 8GB of RAM if your laptop doesn't support it.  Next, you need to find out which RAM is compatible.  You might find this information either in the user manual or by searching at HP.

Edited by Agouti, 07 April 2016 - 08:46 AM.

#3 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:37 AM

Try installing just one stick and see if you can boot also.

#4 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 07 April 2016 - 10:48 AM

According to HP's specs, that laptop only supports up to 4GB of ram ( http://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c02249052 ) Try one of the 4GB modules and see if that works; though you may have to back down and use two 2GB modules.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users