Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sudden loss of internet access on one computer

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Uigi

Uigi

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 07 April 2016 - 05:56 AM

One of my computers has suddenly lost internet access, and as far as I can remember all I was doing last time I used it was going on the internet to websites I normally go to.  All other computers and devices are fine.  The computer in question says WiFi is connected, but no programs can access it including Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and my VPN.  I haven't noticed any other problems on that computer.

Here's what I've tried so far:

Troubleshooting internet connection - no problems detected

Scanning with Webroot - no threats detected

Turning OFF Webroot - no change

When I try to access a website with Google Chrome I get the error message DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET.

What should I try next, or what information should I provide?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 07 April 2016 - 06:48 AM

Hi Uigi,

MiniToolbox by Farbar

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.
Checkmark the following checkboxes:

• Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and post the result (MTB.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 07 April 2016 - 07:08 AM

Install latest version of network card driver if latest version already install then uninstall and reinstall network card driver.

Make sure Firewall is not blocking port 80 for any web browser you use.

Check any cables and reboot any routers, modems, or other network devices you may be using.

Execute my batch script to Reset TCP/IP Protocol Suite.

Posted Image

#4 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 07 April 2016 - 08:20 AM

Great,nicely thought out script Freeboot,wish i could script better :-) anyway,thanks fr that.

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 08:35 AM

Great,nicely thought out script Freeboot,wish i could script better :-) anyway,thanks fr that.

Thank you very much Wolverine 7, if you want to learn batch scripting then send me PM.

Posted Image

#6 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 04:27 PM

Thank you very much Wolverine 7, if you want to learn batch scripting then send me PM.

Thanks Freeboot,your a Superstar,was going to sign for the Windows course on WhiteHat at some point,prob  a couple mths nd im hoping a bit more freetime..anyway thanks fr all your hard work.

Ooops hope im not hijacking again,Animal will tell me off again..hopefully he,s still asleep in his basket :whistle:

Edited by Wolverine 7, 07 April 2016 - 04:31 PM.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 08 April 2016 - 04:56 AM

Nice work FreeBooter!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Uigi

Uigi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 07:13 AM

Nikhil_CV,

I don't think it worked.  Here's all that was in the file:

MiniToolBox by Farbar  Version: 07-02-2016 01
Ran by thaza_000 (administrator) on 08-04-2016 at 21:03:29
Running from "C:\Users\thaza_000\Desktop"
Microsoft Windows 10 Home  (X64)
Model: 80K9 Manufacturer: LENOVO
Boot Mode: Normal

========================= Flush DNS: ===================================

Windows IP Configuration

I tried deleting the text file and running it again, but I left it for around 20 minutes and it was never able to get past flushing the DNS.

Install latest version of network card driver if latest version already install then uninstall and reinstall network card driver.
Make sure Firewall is not blocking port 80 for any web browser you use.
Check any cables and reboot any routers, modems, or other network devices you may be using.
Execute my batch script to Reset TCP/IP Protocol Suite.

I don't know how to check my network card driver, and searching Windows yields no results.

I opened my firewall settings, but couldn't find anything related to port 80.  It does say that my browsers are allowed past the firewall though.

I hate to raise more questions, but is the router really suspect if other people are able to use it?  I'll be kicking people off the internet if I reboot it.

Since I assume I need to check these other steps first, I will wait to run the script.

Edited by Uigi, 08 April 2016 - 07:34 AM.

#9 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 07:54 AM

Hi Uigi,

Please run the below commands :

1. Make sure you have rebooted the computer.
  2. Open elevated Windows Command prompt using any one set of instructions here
  3. Now enter the below command:
    sfc /scannow

and press 'Enter/Return' key.
  4. Wait for the command to perform operations. This may take a while to complete.
  5. After the operation completes, open elevated Windows Command prompt using any one set of instructions here
  6.  In the elevated command prompt, type the command below, and press 'Enter/Return' key:
    findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

7. This will create a text file on your desktop with name 'sfcdetails'.
  8. Please attach the file to your next reply.
  9. Again open elevated Windows Command prompt using any one set of instructions here
  10. Type the command below, and press 'Enter/Return' key:
    ipconfig /flushdns >"%userprofile%\Desktop\dnsflush.txt"
    netsh winsock reset >"%userprofile%\Desktop\winsock.txt"

11. Please copy and paste the contents of files 'dnsflush.txt' and 'winsock.txt' to your next reply.

You can follow the instructions by freebooter at reply 3.

Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#10 Uigi

Uigi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 08:30 PM

I did the scan, it came up with no problems, then I went straight to ipconfig /flushdns >"%userprofile%\Desktop\dnsflush.txt"

It did the same thing as the MiniToolBox, it started (presumably infinite) looping and only produce the same "Windows IP configuration" text.

When I realized I'd got the steps out of order I restarted the computer and started the scan again so I could do it in order, but at the end of the scan I figured I might as well check to see if the internet started working.  Somehow, it had.  I wonder what did it?

Anyway, I'll be back on this thread having taken the remaining steps if it stops again, but I seem to be okay for now.  Thank you for all your help.

#11 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 08:46 PM

Thanks Freeboot,your a Superstar,was going to sign for the Windows course on WhiteHat at some point,prob  a couple mths nd im hoping a bit more freetime..anyway thanks fr all your hard work.

Ooops hope im not hijacking again,Animal will tell me off again..hopefully he,s still asleep in his basket :whistle:

Nice work FreeBooter!

Thank you very much to both of you for yours kind words.

Posted Image

#12 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 02:48 PM

When I realized I'd got the steps out of order I restarted the computer and started the scan again so I could do it in order, but at the end of the scan I figured I might as well check to see if the internet started working.  Somehow, it had.  I wonder what did it?

Sometimes a few restarts will fix something,windows rebuilds some of its settings during them i think..wouldnt hurt to make a restore point now its working in case theres any more blips.

#13 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 11:07 PM

I wonder what did it?

I suspect corrupted Windows files related to networking.
Please watch the connectivity for few days to make sure everything is fine.

Goodluck!

Edited by Nikhil_CV, 10 April 2016 - 11:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users