Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Storage Device

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 borkoborko391

borkoborko391

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 07 April 2016 - 05:51 AM

Hi i have a lot of files i want to store somewhere but i want them to be easy accessible and portable and durable.What to buy external hard disk or usb memory flash drive?Right now im looking at 128GB flash drive at 25$.Which one is more durable?I wont write on them i just want to store my files and access the when i need them.

Edited by borkoborko391, 07 April 2016 - 06:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:11 AM

What do you mean by "more durable"?  Whether it has more read/write cycles or whether it can take some banging?  On a $/GB basis, a hard drive is cheaper than a flash drive.  A flash drive has a limited amount of read/write cycles but it can take rougher treatment.  A hard drive theoretically has infinite read/write cycles but most likely won't survive a fall.  Both flash drives and hard drives will die sooner or later.

Edited by Agouti, 07 April 2016 - 09:15 AM.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 10 April 2016 - 06:38 AM

Maybe consider:  two twin usb external hard-drives; each with the identical folders/files.  If/when one goes, the other probably is aok.  And, if you travel some, two twin 128GB or 256GB usb flash drives -- for the road.

Edited by RolandJS, 10 April 2016 - 06:38 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users