Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't delete an mkv file in Temp folder

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nicolebrady409

nicolebrady409

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 07 April 2016 - 03:14 AM

I downloaded a TV show and what would normally let me delete an mkv file by ending explorer, I can't.  The file, for some reason, went into a Temp folder.  When I tried to do the following, it did not work:

1.       Cmd

2.       Cd Downloads

3.       Del filename.mkv.  Don’t hit enter

4.       Cntrl Alt Del and right click on explorer.exe and click on “end process”

5.       Go back to cmd window and hit enter

6.       Go back to task manager and click on file on and type in “explorer.exe”

When i did these steps, it said that the access was denied and I still can't delete the file. 

I tried to "hack" the Temp folder that it is in to give me access to it.  To do this, I did the following steps:

1. Right clicked on the Appdata folder

2. Clicked properties

3. Clicked security

4. And clicked so that I could get full control

When I did these, I did the steps to delete the mkv file again in the temp folder and it still said "access denied".  Can you please help me?

Edited by nicolebrady409, 07 April 2016 - 12:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 07 April 2016 - 07:06 AM

When i did these steps, it said that the access was denied and I still can't download the file.

What do you mean by "...still can't download the file"?  Which directory is the file in?  You mentioned "AppData" and "Temp", is the mkv file located in AppData/local/temp?  Which program did you use to view/play the mkv?

#3 nicolebrady409

nicolebrady409
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 07 April 2016 - 12:28 PM

I meant to say I still can't DELETE the file.  The file is in AppData/local/temp.  I used VLC media player to play the mkv file

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 07 April 2016 - 02:26 PM

You should be able to delete any file in AppData/Local/Temp.  Make sure VLC is closed then try and delete the MKV again.  If you don't already have it, you can also download the portable version of CCleaner from this page.  Make a new folder for CCleaner on your desktop and extract the zipped file in it.  Run the cleaner then check and see if the MKV file is gone.  Note, do not run the registry cleaner in CCleaner.  When you are done, you can delete the CCleaner folder from your desktop.

Edited by Agouti, 07 April 2016 - 02:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users