Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Professional question.

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Satman858

Satman858

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 07 April 2016 - 12:17 AM

I recently bought a Laptop that had Windows 7 Professional installed on it, but only had a 40gb Hard Drive. So I bought a blank 500GB to replace the Hard Drive. Since the Laptop did not come with a Windows 7 Professional DVD-Rom disc, I was wondering If I could use my friends Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade option DVD-Rom disc, and just load it onto my new blank 500GB Hard Drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MisterJim

MisterJim

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 07 April 2016 - 08:13 AM

Fresh, empty hard disk drive? Start anew with what OS you prefer. partition/format the new HDD & have fun install all you shall need.

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 07 April 2016 - 08:16 AM

No, you can't use your Window 7 Home Premium disc.

The first thing you should do is note down your product key.  You should find it on a sticker on the bottom of the laptop or in the battery bay sometimes.  However, if the sticker is damaged, you can use something like ProduKey to extract the key.  Once you have the key, write it down or keep it on a flash drive and store it somewhere safe.  There is a way to back up your activation files too but I won't go into that.

Also, you may want to back up your drivers with something like DriverBackup! to make it easy to reinstall your drivers.  Otherwise, you can go to the manufacturer's site and download the drivers for your computer.

To summarize, you have 3 options:

a.  Clone the hard drive.

b.  Create a Windows 7 Professional ISO from your Windows 7 Home Premium disc.

c.  Download a Windows 7 Professional ISO.

Of the three, c is probably the easiest option so I only deal with that one here...

1.  Follow the instructions in this article to download a Windows 7 Professional ISO from Microsoft Tech Bench.  There is no telling when this workaround may stop working, so you should act quickly.

2.  Once you have the ISO, go to MSDN Subscriber Downloads and use the box that says "Enter a Product Name" to search for the same ISO.

3.  Once you find the matching listing, click on the link that say "Details" to expand the listing.  (Note, you won't be able to download anything at MSDN without a subscription but we just want the SHA1 hash).

4.  Locate the SHA1 hash and use something like Hasher Lite to compare it with a SHA1 hash of the ISO to make sure they match.  This will ensure that the ISO wasn't corrupted in the course of downloading.

5.  Next, follow this article to make a bootable Windows 7 USB flash drive with Rufus.

6.  Install the new hard drive.

7.  Insert the flash drive and boot your computer.

8.  Follow the prompts to install Windows on the new hard drive.  You may need go into the BIOS to change the boot order if the computer doesn't boot from the USB drive.

9.  Install your drivers.

Let me know how it goes.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 07 April 2016 - 08:16 AM

If the computer came with Windows 7 Pro you will have to use a Windows 7 Pro disc to install it.  Your computer's product code will not work with another version of Windows 7.  If you had a ISO image you could use a program like Ei.cfg Removal Utility which removes the key file.  Windows 7 actually has all version included in the installation disc, removing the key file will allow you to install any version you need.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Satman858

Satman858
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 03:06 PM

No, you can't use your Window 7 Home Premium disc.

The first thing you should do is note down your product key.  You should find it on a sticker on the bottom of the laptop or in the battery bay sometimes.  However, if the sticker is damaged, you can use something like ProduKey to extract the key.  Once you have the key, write it down or keep it on a flash drive and store it somewhere safe.  There is a way to back up your activation files too but I won't go into that.

Also, you may want to back up your drivers with something like DriverBackup! to make it easy to reinstall your drivers.  Otherwise, you can go to the manufacturer's site and download the drivers for your computer.

To summarize, you have 3 options:

a.  Clone the hard drive.

b.  Create a Windows 7 Professional ISO from your Windows 7 Home Premium disc.

c.  Download a Windows 7 Professional ISO.

Of the three, c is probably the easiest option so I only deal with that one here...

1.  Follow the instructions in this article to download a Windows 7 Professional ISO from Microsoft Tech Bench.  There is no telling when this workaround may stop working, so you should act quickly.

2.  Once you have the ISO, go to MSDN Subscriber Downloads and use the box that says "Enter a Product Name" to search for the same ISO.

3.  Once you find the matching listing, click on the link that say "Details" to expand the listing.  (Note, you won't be able to download anything at MSDN without a subscription but we just want the SHA1 hash).

4.  Locate the SHA1 hash and use something like Hasher Lite to compare it with a SHA1 hash of the ISO to make sure they match.  This will ensure that the ISO wasn't corrupted in the course of downloading.

5.  Next, follow this article to make a bootable Windows 7 USB flash drive with Rufus.

6.  Install the new hard drive.

7.  Insert the flash drive and boot your computer.

8.  Follow the prompts to install Windows on the new hard drive.  You may need go into the BIOS to change the boot order if the computer doesn't boot from the USB drive.

9.  Install your drivers.

Let me know how it goes.

The product key says Windows XP Professional with the full product key number listed. Evidently the person that sold me the Laptop put Windows 7 Professional on it, which I do like, and if possible would like for it remain since XP is no longer supported by Microsoft. It also legibly shows a service tag number, Express service code number, and Bluetooth model number.

Since the Laptop originally had a XP Professional product key, could I just go with your option (B) and install my new blank 500gb hard drive and put in my friends Window 7 Home Premium disc, and choose the Windows 7 Professional option within that disc and load it directly onto the 500gb hard drive? If not, then why not?

#6 Satman858

Satman858
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 03:16 PM

If the computer came with Windows 7 Pro you will have to use a Windows 7 Pro disc to install it.  Your computer's product code will not work with another version of Windows 7.  If you had a ISO image you could use a program like Ei.cfg Removal Utility which removes the key file.  Windows 7 actually has all version included in the installation disc, removing the key file will allow you to install any version you need.

Since the computer came originally with Windows XP Professional, would I still have to remove the original key file, before it would allow me to put in my friends Windows 7 home premium disc, and then choose Windows 7 professional version?

BTW, there is also a Windows 7 "Drivers and Applications Installations disk" included with the Windows 7 Home Premium disk.

#7 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 03:30 PM

Satman858, since the person you purchase the laptop from install Windows 7 on it, you would have to extract the Windows key with ProduKey.  If your friend's disc is an original one for Windows 7 Home Premium, you wouldn't be able to install Professional from it without doing some things.  Forget about your friend's disc and just follow the procedure I posted once you extract the key.

[Edit]

It would move to also backup the drivers.  It would save hunting for drivers.

Edited by Agouti, 07 April 2016 - 03:36 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,556 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 04:27 PM

Since all you want to do is move to a larger hard drive...just clone the old drive to the new drive.  No installation of Windows necessary.

Louis

#9 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 04:59 PM

Yes, I did mention he has the option of cloning the drive in post #3, but he would have to buy either an enclosure, dock or USB adapter.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,556 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 05:04 PM

All that's required to clone a drive...is access to another system, cloning software, and the ability to connect the old, small drive and the new, larger drive to this other system.

Since most of us have friends, coworkers, etc. with systems...I don't see the need to buy anything (cloning programs are free downloads).  The drives do not have to be connected via USB...many motherboards have ability to connect multiple drives internally, direct to the motherboard.  USB connections are options.

Louis

#11 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 06:21 PM

True.  He could look for a friend with a desktop who is willing to help.

#12 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 06:51 PM

Since he has a laptop, can he still use the cloning procedure?

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,556 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 06:17 AM

Why not?  Every laptop has a hard drive which is capable of being removed, replaced.

Louis

#14 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 07:55 AM

"Why not?  Every laptop has a hard drive which is capable of being removed, replaced."

EDIT: I'll open a new topic of why I asked my question

Edited by cmptrgy, 08 April 2016 - 08:09 AM.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 08 April 2016 - 08:21 AM

Satman858

You can use the instructions below to use Speccy Snapshot to produce the current product code.

How to find your Windows product code with the Speccy Snapshot

Please download and install Speccy to find your Windows product code.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see an image similar to the one below.

speccy1_zpsrueynimp.png

Under Summary click on Operating System.

speccy2_zpsxmwtld56.png

The product code is listed as Serial Number:.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users