Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Skype a virus/trojan/ransomware?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 06 April 2016 - 10:57 PM

Day after day I see this in Reliability view on a program I haven't installed.

Description
Faulting application name: SkypeHost.exe, version: 10.1.2123.10, time stamp: 0x569054dc
Faulting module name: combase.dll, version: 10.0.10586.103, time stamp: 0x56a84cbb
Exception code: 0xc000027b
Fault offset: 0x00166fb1
Faulting process id: 0x1968
Faulting application start time: 0x01d18efae2eadedd
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Messaging_2.13.20000.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe\SkypeHost.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\combase.dll
Report Id: 02200fac-9ed0-4079-806c-226c6acba844
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.Messaging_2.13.20000.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: ppleae38af2e007f4358a809ac99a64a67c1

I went to programs and features to uninstall it. It's not there.
Checked TaskMgr - nothing there.
Checked ProcessExplorer - nothing there.

Checked my firewall list of programs it sees - zilch.

How can this pest issue errors when I don't have it and don't intend to ever have it?
How can I get rid of this pest?

Edited by tos226, 06 April 2016 - 10:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 04:49 AM

If you think you're infected, I'd suggest posting over in the Am I Infected forum:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
Please read the pinned topics at the top of the forum for instructions on how to post there.

But, as this is a common Windows program, I'd have to wonder if it's a problem with the Messaging app.

As such, I'd suggest trying this:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/what-troubleshoot-problems-app

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 08 April 2016 - 05:51 AM

If you want to get rid of Skype just right click on it and uninstall. It is that easy. My family doesn't use Skype, so I have removed it from all of our PCs. But so many of my friends use it that I might just start leaving it enabled on all of the PCs that I work on from now on.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,474 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 06:55 AM

You'll notice that this is the Windows App version of Skype (check the folder location). It comes by default in Windows 10, so it's normal for it to be present even though you didn't install it.

Skype isn't a virus, nor a trojan, not a Ransomware. It's a legitimate program using for communication.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skype

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 11:29 PM

Thanks all.
I may have not been too alert when I posted. Partly because I was annoyed by the win error reporting so frequently.
I forgot that even a clean installation of Windows 10 is just like OEM computers with unwanted bloatware.

Still I wonder what those errors are all about since the darn thing isn't even used here.

I had to do the admin stuff on UAC to open programFiles\windowsApps, and can't read anything there, and I see no Skype. Most of the time even when RunAs admin it's not letting me look at that directory.

Actually I don't see Skype anywhere, so can't right click on it.

Perhaps it's time to use my super clean and safe XP which has no such annoyances.

@usasma, thanks for the troubleshoot link. I suppose it's ok on Win10 even though it describes Win8. Anyway, as I read it, it has to do with Windows Store. I have not been to Windows Store, and I run under a local, not Microsoft account which I believe is required to be able to use the store.

Edited by tos226, 08 April 2016 - 11:35 PM.

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 09 April 2016 - 03:16 AM

When you click on the START icon in the lower left of the screen and then click on all programs and scroll to the "S"s, then right click on Skype right there in that menu, it should give you an option to uninstall. I wouldn't uninstall it unless you are sure that you will never use it. Skype is a legitimate program with lots of very happy users.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 boomdig

boomdig

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 09 April 2016 - 01:42 PM

Skype is an excellent communication program, that, with time, you will want to use. I have found an old military buddy that I had known since the 3rd grade and we talk very frequently. The only objection I have is that anyone can ask you to be put in your call list. Had a few really pesky scammers from Ghana try and get me to fall in love in 20 minutes so they could try and screw money out of me, but other than that, no problems. Just don't accept invitations from strangers as they are either scammers or web cam girls!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users