Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 10, an HP printer and MS Office 2010

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 06 April 2016 - 05:48 PM

An elderly acquaintance who suffers dementia but gets great enjoyment out of his computer has what is to me a weird problem.

Computer - Packard Bell small form factor desktop, about 18 months old, OS Win 10

Printer      -  HP Photosmart C6380 All-in-one

and MS Office Home and Student 2010

He called me and said his printer wasn't working. I expected, on his record, that somehow he had changed the default printer but he hadn't, and he was right - it wouldn't print either a Word document or a spreadsheet.. I did get an error message on hunting around -

"The Active Directory Domain Service is currently unavailable"

Looking at 'Programs and Features' suggested that his printer software had got uninstalled. So I downloaded a copy then installed the Revo uninstaller. A check with this suggested no HP software installed so I installed the drivers from HP for Win 10. There is a small improvement, now when trying to print from Office the 'Printer is printing' panel appears, but the printer merely spits out a blank sheet.

The printer scans and prints, it will print from a PDF file or an e-mail, it just not will not print from Office. Any ideas on how to fix this ?

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bulgaristan

Bulgaristan

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 06 April 2016 - 06:10 PM

Try to install the printer last firmware.

If you are adding the printer from print server registered on the domain only the sysadmin can check the permissions set on the printer.

In case they recently migrated to new version of MS office is possible to have problem with printing this format as the sysadmin might set policy for permission on the printed file extensions.

My suggestion is the printer use permission to print .doc but not .docx you can save one file as doc from the drop-down menu of "save as" change the value to "Office 97:" and than print.

I hope some of those works for you.

Cheers,
Andy 

Edited by Bulgaristan, 06 April 2016 - 06:11 PM.

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 06 April 2016 - 06:22 PM

Have a look at Microsoft Office print setting from "File --> Options -->Advanced".

Posted Image

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 7,007 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 05:17 PM

Since the owner of this computer has moderate dementia it's probably unreasonable to expect him to go around changing the default file format every time he wants to print an Office document. And in any case, running Win 10, Win 10 printer drivers and Office 2010 it really should print a DOCX or XLSX type document !

any further thoughts ?

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 09 April 2016 - 05:28 PM

Have you seen this blog post in your search?

http://www.kapilarya.com/the-active-directory-domain-services-is-currently-unavailable

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 7,007 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 03:40 PM

Thanks John - actually I had come across it - and copied the URL into a TXT file, then misplaced the TXT file - when I was looking at this computer !  I believe this one holds the answer, and with any luck I will have the time to get back to it this week coming, my only reluctance is to fool around in the registry if I don't have to. This time I will take a laptop with me so that I have a separate reference source.

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 10 April 2016 - 03:41 PM.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 7,007 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2016 - 05:29 PM

Grrr ! ! !

I went through the procedures in that blog post and it worked. No 'domain service' message, the printer was properly installed and visible from MS Office. Still not printing !

Then inspiration struck. Let's change the font colour !  And Lo - it printed perfectly in red, blue and yellow !  Bang head off desk three times. OK, that's easy, 'Got a spare black cartridge ?'. He did, so I fitted it, let the printer rumble away then tried printing again - no black. Pulled the cartridge and and held a piece of paper to the outlet and it goes pure black, so the cartridge hasn't dried out - it's the print head. Ten minutes later I had worked out how to run the cleaning routine and ran it twice with no improvement, at which point I had run out of time and had to leave him. So now it's back to the manual, when I download it, to see if there is any more useful information in there. It's either that or a new printer which I am getting close to recommending.

Actually I have learnt one important lesson out of this. When generating a test document - 12 or 15 lines of 'The quick brown fox' - change the font colour every three lines or whatever but print in all the basic colours !

Chris Cosgrove

#8 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2016 - 05:47 PM

Glad you found the problem Chris.  I may be wrong but I think HP uses black pigment ink but the colors are dye-based.  Pigment ink will clog the print heads but dye ink won't.  Anyway, my advice would be to convince him to forgo color printing and buy a laser printer.  Laser printers were prohibitive at one time but they have become quite affordable now.

[Edit]

Another suggestion would be to use a substitute dye-base black ink cartridge.  Documents may not be as fade-resistant as when printed with pigment ink but a good UV-resistant ink might not be a bad compromise.

Edited by Agouti, 23 April 2016 - 05:53 PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2016 - 05:52 PM

I always try to use an inkjet printer that has the heads in the cartridge itself. 

On cleaning the printhead of the 6300 series, see this page.

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 April 2016 - 05:52 PM.

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 23 April 2016 - 06:07 PM

Glad to know you have found and resolve the issue, i must say my advice was to you it was not for the elderly person who does suffers dementia.

Edited by FreeBooter, 23 April 2016 - 06:08 PM.

Posted Image

#11 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 7,007 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 04:18 PM

On mature reflection - ie 24 hours - I have come to the conclusion that it is time for a new printer and will so advise. I looked at the procedure John_C linked to and it is one that may or may not work and will take at least an hour to carry out. I feel I have spent enough time on this printer, it's not as though fairly basic all-in-ones cost two arms and a leg.

Assuming he takes my advice and gets a new one at least the 'Domain service' problem  is resolved and any replacement will** print.

Chris Cosgrove

** Correction:  for 'will', read 'should' !

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 24 April 2016 - 06:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users