Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista started crashing in early March

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 godzilla1347

godzilla1347

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 06 April 2016 - 04:52 PM

I have a Dell XPS desktop running Windows Vista that while old, seemed to be happy.  Suddenly, in early March, the system would just start freezing whether online or offline. The mouse simply wouldn't move. The only thing I could do at that time was a cold boot. In fact, I'm trying to type this before it happens again as it has been happening fairly quickly. Meanwhile, when the system works, it appears to work even faster than it did before. I did a Sea Tools for Windows extended scan and the system passed so I then assumed it wasn't hard drive damage. I tried to do a Dell system scan and the system would crash during the scan. When trying to do a defrag, I would get that cycle spinning that says it's doing the defrag but I don't see those progress lines showing. I was not able to do a system restore. Chkdsk couldn't complete; it got to step 5 twice and Windows startup repair didn't work but the system would start afterwards from a cold boot.

So I'm wondering if I need a BIOS upgrade (but am worried if the system crashes during the upgrade, my computer would then become a doorstop), if the recent Microsoft updates that have caused people issues with newer systems have also impacted on Windows Vista or if it is a motherboard issue.

When this started happening, I went out and bought a new computer, thinking "the end is near" as this computer has served me well for 6 years but I don't like to give up on a challenge and as I have a new computer and have saved all my data files, I don't mind "fooling around" with this one, considering that it only has a year anyway because Microsoft support for Vista ends next April and I wouldn't run this online anyway without Microsoft updates.

I'm trying to avoid re-installing Vista with the Dell Recovery disk but that might be my next step. I would hate to do that and find the system still crashing afterwards so I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this issue.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 01:15 AM

I heard something about recent Windows updates causing this sort of problem. Has anyone heard that?

#3 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 01:32 AM

I don't know if this means anything but soemtimes when the system crashes, it simply freezes. At other times, I don't get the DSOD but I do get a blue screen that goes on for about 10 seconds and goes off before I can read it but I did pick up something about a crash dump. I also notice that document files that I was using now have a copy of them listed but "ghosted out" with a squiggly line in front of them. The won't open but I can open the parent file without problems . . . until it crashes.

I'm not sure what to think; do I have a hardware problem or is my registry corrupted? If it's a hardware problem, reinstalling Windows Vista won't help. If it's a windows Vista registry corruption, I assume reinstalling Vista would resolve this. And I don't know if the BIOS is an issue but as the system keeps crashing, flashing the BIOS could be a problem if the system crashing during the process.  I really don't know what's going on.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 05:39 PM

Let's try looking at these reports:

1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.
If it doesn't work for you, then please try this:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 05:45 PM

Thanks, I'll run through the troubleshooting steps you have posted but first have to put things back together as I had moved the screen to the new computer and a number of other things in the interim. I'll look to to this over the weekend.  I'm hoping the system stays up long enough for me to complete these tasks. It appears that crashes appear to happen more readily when I go online.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 04:59 AM

The reports will contain a lot of data for us to have a look at.

It's better to generate them immediately after you have a problem - that way the error reports will tend to be near the top of the log files.

Otherwise, we can wait until you get to it - I get notified by email when you reply to this topic.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 02:36 AM

I tried to follow the instructions but the system crashes now as soon as I load my ISP. I am sending this from my new computer.  At this point, the above Vista computer seems like it's fried. I also notice that the only way I can reboot is from a cold start because once i try to go to my ISP and load the bleeping computer message with the instructions, the system crashes while loading my email messages from my ISP. I also notice that the fan accelerates 50% of the time from a cold boot and when that happens, it keeps going faster and faster so I have to manually shut down.  Someone mentioned that when the fan takes off, the BIOS might not be engaging.

In any case, if I can't get to the point where I can load the requested files, I could try reinstalling windows.  I will try again tomorrow to run those reports.

#8 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 02:57 AM

Interestingly, the system "unfroze" and I was able to download http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/  However, I got an error message that the program couldn't complete. I downloaded the file a second time and got the same result. I tried it several times to no avail and no text file was left on my desktop.  I will try the second step tomorrow and see if I have any more luck with that.

#9 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 12:32 PM

This morning, I tried again and the system wouldn't start. What did happen is that fan started accelerating out of control again so I did a cold shut down again. The next time I turned on the comper,  The start repair tool came on and Windows came up afterwards. I then tried to perform step 1 above again to run the BSOD detector but when it got 2/3, it shut down again and didn't leave a text file on my desktop. I suspect there is a system problem in the registry.  i will now try step 2 starting with opening the event viewer and will send this now as I don't know how long the system will remain up. Once I either complete step 2 or get shut down, I'll send a message. If I can't send it through this computer, I'll report what has happened from the computer that works.

Now I don't know enough to project anything but the fact that 50% of the time, when the computer starts, the fan runs out of control was suggested to me that the BIOS isn't engaging. I don't know if that's true or not so I"ll try to do the second step and go from there.

#10 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 01:53 PM

I have included the attached admin.evtx file as a compressed file.

Attached Files

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 05:38 PM

If the fan is spinning up rapidly, the first thing to consider is that something is overheating.

Check the CPU cooler and fan to make sure that they're firmly connected, free of dirt/dust, and are working.

Do the same for the GPU cooler.

The Admin log file doesn't have much in the way of useful information.

There are no indications that they system failed to boot, or booted and then crashed.

This is most likely a hardware error - with overheating before Windows can load as the prime suspect.

Please check the cooling of the CPU and GPU and let us know what you find.

#12 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 03:24 AM

I will check it but the problem only starts intermittantly and only when Windows starts and the system doesn't have time to heat up. If the system starts normally, the fan never speeds up. Could this have something to do with a Bios corruption in that has the fan engage before the Bios sets instructions?

Now, interestingly, Windows ran the start fix tool and then a Windows update loaded. Within the past 24 hours, the system hasn't crashed. I don't know if there was a fix as a result but I'll keep my eye on it. Being I'm running a new computer, I can send these messages out from the new system while watching the old one.

One thing I did notice is that the crashes were usually instigated by going online, particularly when loading my Cablevision account.

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 05:21 PM

The fan going on is a symptom - it's supposed to happen when heat increases.

If the overheating is serious, it can generate a lot of heat right away.  BUT, the problem here is why it would only do it sometimes and not every time?

Actually finding the point in the boot where it occurs is way, way beyond my ability.  I'd suggest that you post over in the Internal Hardware problems if you'd like to pursue that:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

I hope that the WIndows Update fixed things - and that the problem never returns (I'll keep my fingers crossed for good luck!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users