Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop is switching to battery when fully charged

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rm22

rm22

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 06 April 2016 - 03:54 PM

I just got a replacement battery for my Acer Aspire (5742 series) laptop. When the battery is fully charged then the laptop automatically switches to battery only - dropping the AC. If I unplug the AC & plug it back in it briefly stays on AC & then goes back to battery.

The laptop works fine on AC with other batteries. Is there anything I can do to try to fix this or is it just a matter of returning it?

OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 06 April 2016 - 09:48 PM

Is the battery an OEM Acer battery or generic replacement?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 rm22

rm22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 01:08 AM

Is the battery an OEM Acer battery or generic replacement?

purchased on Amazon.ca - manufacturer is PowerSmart - seemed to have decent reviews.

I'd planned to buy an Anker replacement as they seem make quality products, but it's currently not available. the only 'reputable' option i see for a decent price is Dr. Battery at $50. but the laptop is almost 6 years old so i went for the cheap option since it's not likely to last much longer

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 07 April 2016 - 06:32 AM

All laptop batteries have a circuit in them for charging and monitoring. It's likely the battery is not reporting correctly to the laptop or the laptop doesn't recognize the circuitry. I would contact the seller and have them send a replacement. I have used aftermarket battery's in a few different laptops. They tend to not last as long as the OEM Branded ones (they use cheaper unmatched cells), but they do work. 

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 rm22

rm22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 05:01 PM

All laptop batteries have a circuit in them for charging and monitoring. It's likely the battery is not reporting correctly to the laptop or the laptop doesn't recognize the circuitry. I would contact the seller and have them send a replacement. I have used aftermarket battery's in a few different laptops. They tend to not last as long as the OEM Branded ones (they use cheaper unmatched cells), but they do work. 

ok - thanks for the help - we'll see if the next one works

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users