Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SYSTEM question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 VWBob

VWBob

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 06 April 2016 - 03:53 PM

Hi guys, Sorry if this question has been asked a zillion times, haven't found the search feature yet and I'm unable to find what I need.

I am trying to get an Acer netbook up and running. It came with Win 10. I can't figure out what model it is but that may be besides the point. I had to put win 8 on to a flash drive to get it into the netbook, no cd drive. I had to custom install win 8  to get it to go. Now I have it up and running and I am trying to install the 163 updates so I can get it to 8.1, so I can get the free win 10 upgrade. Screwball way to do it I know, but win 8's what I got.

In an effort to free up some space on the SSHD I got rid of file windows.old.000. Got about 1/3 of my space back, but still can't get the updates done before running out of space again. I need to try to get rid of windows.old but get a warning that I need admin permission to delete it. the actual warning is, "You require permission from SYSTEM to make changes to this folder". ummmm what?

I am on the only account on it and I just checked to make sure I am the admin.

If anyone has ideas, throw them out there, I'm kinda stuck. When it comes to technical terms, feel free to dumb it down. I have built my own enthusiast grade gaming rig and I know how to get stuff working, but there is a bunch of stuff I don't know. ie C++, etc. Don't be afraid to throw step by step instructions in any responses. And thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 06 April 2016 - 06:12 PM

I'm finding it hard to understand why you would not just install Win 10 again?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 VWBob

VWBob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 06 April 2016 - 10:29 PM

I don't have it. I have win 8. it updates to win 8.1. That updates to win 10. I am using what I have. Hard way to do it but that's what I got

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 07 April 2016 - 03:17 AM

Hard way to do it

That's what I was thinking. Why not put Windows 10 onto the flash drive & install directly? It will pick up the license from the hardware and automatically activate:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 07 April 2016 - 06:48 AM

VWBob, you can download a Windows 10 ISO here.  Scroll down to the box that says "Select edition" and click the little down arrow.  Select the correct edition and follow the prompts.

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 07 April 2016 - 08:12 AM

I don't understand you said laptop come with Windows 10 so this means Windows 10 was already installed but some how you install Windows 8 and now want to install Windows 10 am i missing something here. You can delete Windows.old folder content with Windows Disk Cleanup tool. Click Windows Key + R keys at same time and and type CLEANMGR into Run box that opened click OK button to start Disk Cleanup tool. Form Disk Cleanup tool click "Clean up system files" button and place check mark on all check boxes to delete Windows.old folder you can also delete system restore point form More Options tab to save more space. Use WinDirStat to view disk usage statistics and cleanup files that you don't need and take more space don't delete anything from Windows folder and Programs Files folder. You can claim more disk space by reducing the size of the component store (WinSxS folder) more information on how to reduce the size of component store can be found HERE.  You can upgrade to Windows 10 with Windows 10 Media Creation Tool.

Edited by FreeBooter, 07 April 2016 - 08:13 AM.

2GvnEq2.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users