Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this bogus or legit?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 harkcomp

harkcomp

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 06 April 2016 - 02:59 PM

I have Windows 10 and Google Chrome is my default browser. 

Lately when I click on the Google Chrome icon immediately a box pops up with a blue and gold shield in the upper left hand corner and a blue banner across the top that reads: USER ACCOUNT CONTROLS

DO YOU WANT TO ALLOW THIS APP TO MAKE CHANGES TO YOUR HARD DRIVE?

PROGRAM NAME: GOOGLE CHROME

VERIFIED PUBLISHER: GOOGLE INC.

FILE ORIGIN: Hard drive on this computer. 

CLSID: (9B2340A0-4068-4306-B404-32e etc.etc. etc. 

PUBLISHER CERTIFICATE INFORMATION:

ISSUED TO: Google Chrome Inc.

ISSUED BY VERISIGN 3 code signing 2010 CA

Valid from: 12/13/2015 to 12/14/2016

I was told that any updates from Google Chrome would automatically be done in the background without any kind of notice which makes my suspicious that this is some kind of fake update or a disguised virus wanting me to click on it so it can infect my computer. 

It looks very authentic, but  I'm really gun shy about clicking on anything anymore because of viruses. How can I tell if things like this are real or not? This pops up every time I log on and click on the Google Chrome icon. 

Thanks for your help. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2016 - 04:34 PM

Have you added any plugins or addons to your Chrome browser lately?

I get the same thing when I move files and fonts around, I believe its just part of some kind of protection that comes with windows

I would make sure all your plugins or add ons in your browser are up to date

#3 harkcomp

harkcomp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 10:41 AM

Thanks Norseman 143. 

How do I make sure all my plugins or add ons in my  browser are up to date? Where do I even find them? 

I still need to learn from someone if I should ignore this pop up, or is it a legitimate Google Chrome notice that I do actually need to click on. 

#4 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 04:56 PM

It sounds to me like Microsoft and Google arent getting along,I found an article at Microsoft, dating back to 2013

I have Google chrome installed, but never use it, I am more a Firefox fan

Anyway, I would suggest reinstalling google chrome

Check this out and see what you thinkhttp://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/clsid-9b2340a0-4068-43d6-b404-32e27217859d/0d6b2f31-fe38-41e1-bbaf-b0b247033362

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,964 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 07 April 2016 - 07:23 PM

The Chrome Cleanup Tool for Windows searches for then removes a limited number of unwanted adware programs and resets Chrome profile settings.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users