Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard doesn't work,except for sign in, is it Dell or microsoft?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Helenat29

Helenat29

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 06 April 2016 - 02:53 PM

I had a SATA failure, among a lot of other notifications. So trying to follow the Dell advice I restored to factory settings, unfortunately. Luckily I had backed everything up only a day or two ago, but I lost all the programmes.

On the Monday I called Dell who investigated and said everything was ok. Sometime through all this the wireless keyboard stopped working, but not the mouse.

Because ms office was gone I contacted Microsoft who, in the process of downloading office for me, looked at my system and had a fit, they reinstalled the whole of Windows 10,( for a price). 

Dell sent me a new keyboard, which also didn't work. They are now making noises about restoring the system again, and that it is a windows problem. I do NOT want to loose ll my programmes again (does Dell premium recovery back these up? How much does it cost?)

Why did Dell tell me it was good, when Microsoft found so many problems? I also see that there is a warning again... but I now can't find the details of what and where, I can't get into 'My Dell'.

Any help please?
Helen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 06 April 2016 - 03:07 PM

Buy a cheap WIRED keyboard and see if that works.  My guess is that you're missing a required driver for the wireless mouse.  You can buy USB keyboards for under $10 USD.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 Helenat29

Helenat29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2016 - 04:47 PM

The wired keyboard doesn't work either, the mouse is still fine.

#4 Helenat29

Helenat29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 02:42 AM

is it the driver?

#5 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 07 April 2016 - 11:42 AM

I had something like this happen once.  I went to Device Manager and deleted the KB driver, then rebooted.  Windows found and installed the correct driver and it's worked since then.  I advise backing your system up to an external hard drive before deleting that driver.  It shouldn't be necessary, but we know that Murphy looms large when it comes to computers!

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users