Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Returning defective PC withpreloaded OS to vendor

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jcmack

jcmack

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 06 April 2016 - 02:30 PM

A few days ago I bought a recognized brand, new PC that came preloaded with WIN 8. Nice box with 8 gig of mem and 1Tb HD. Big step up for me from my 10 yr old Dell with WIN7. Over the last few days I upgraded to WIN 10 and moved a lot of files and info files from the old to the new PC.The new PC has developed a problem which I'm pretty sure is PS related. I've got 10 days left to return it to the vendor. I'd like to remove my files before I return it. What's easiest way to go about it? Just format the drive? It's a big box store and they won't question the return or try to boot it when I return it.

Thanks, Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 06 April 2016 - 03:19 PM

There should be a way to return the computer to its factory state.  Manufacturers usually include a utility to do that.  Returning the computer to factory condition will automatically wipe all personal data from the hard drive.  You should read the user manual to find out how to do it.  Most likely you'll have to search for the manual at the manufacturer's site.

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,798 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 06 April 2016 - 04:53 PM

Windows 10 has a built in reset feature. It is quick and easy and will delete everything.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 jcmack

jcmack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 06 April 2016 - 06:31 PM

O.K. Thanks for replies and advice. I'll try it tomorrow.

Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users