Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extract individual files from a Windows 10 backup file?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NavyNanna

NavyNanna

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 06 April 2016 - 01:32 PM

My daughter backed up her computer on an external drive.  I would like to extract some picture files that she saved on her computer for me several weeks ago, but I do not want the backup file to open up on my own computer.  Her computer is being shipped in for repairs.

Is there a way that I can access the files without actually opening up that whole backup file?  When I click on the image, it does not give me an option to "view files and folders".

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 06 April 2016 - 01:52 PM

Which program did she use to make the backup?  I know Macrium Reflect free allows you to mount a backup image and browse or copy files from it.

#3 NavyNanna

NavyNanna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2016 - 02:33 PM

She used the Windows 7 client for the backup.

#4 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 06 April 2016 - 03:07 PM

the Windows System Image backup is a folder tree containing a Virtual hard disk - a .vhdx file - almost certianly the largest file within the folder tree by far. You should be able to right click on that file and select "Mount". The backup will then appear as another drive on your PC.

If you have space, you might want to make a copy of the vhdx file and mount that as opposed to the original file (in ordr to avoid accidentally damaging the backup as you access it)

x64

#5 NavyNanna

NavyNanna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2016 - 03:30 PM

I don't have a lot of storage space, and I am worried about damaging the file.  I hate to say it, but I may be better off not attempting this and waiting until my daughter gets her computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users